Stuff to cheer one up whilst in lockdown

Started by Steve J, 20 December 2020, 07:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sean66

Quote from: Techno II on 21 December 2020, 08:07:10 AM
Ooooh...something to be cheerful about in the Northern Hemisphere.....The days start getting longer, and the nights shorter after today. :-bd

The radio's given two different figures, this morning....One said the days extend 3 minutes for every day......another time they said three seconds per day.
(I found a figure of 33minutes per day on the interweb. :o :o :o :o Shome mishtake shooorly.)

Cheers - Phil. :)
Techno I'm not sure really but I think Days don't actually extend after the winter Solstice  :D
Daylight hours may extend but days stay roughly 24 Hours the whole year through  8)
Regards
Sean

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

"It would seem logical that after the shortest day has elapsed the mornings would start getting lighter earlier, but this isn't what happens - the mornings continue darkening until early in the new year." - BBC

"Meanwhile, those who thought that the winter solstice would mark the earliest sunset would also be wrong as the earliest sunset arrives a couple of weeks earlier." - BBC

Full article here - https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30549149
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sean66

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 December 2020, 10:00:08 AM
Sean - leave the pedantry to me  ;)

just trying to spread the love lol.
Regards
Sean

Ithoriel

The wargamers three arms of service - infantry, cavalry, pedantry! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DaveH

Bit more time to catch up on the Too Fat Lardies youtube channel with their advent calendar
https://www.youtube.com/user/toofatlardies

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 December 2020, 10:26:32 AM
The wargamers three arms of service - infantry, cavalry, pedantry! :)
:)

Ray Rivers

Quote from: Techno II on 21 December 2020, 08:07:10 AM
Ooooh...something to be cheerful about in the Northern Hemisphere.....The days start getting longer, and the nights shorter after today. :-bd

The radio's given two different figures, this morning....One said the days extend 3 minutes for every day......another time they said three seconds per day.
(I found a figure of 33minutes per day on the interweb. :o :o :o :o Shome mishtake shooorly.)

Cheers - Phil. :)

Actually, I believe it is approximately 1 minute more day per day.  @-)

I doubt it is a fixed amount it would depend on lattitude.

But - London is 8 minutes behind Bristol, or may be in front. It would be the same for Merseyside. Our fixed times are due to Isembard Kingdom Brunel, who wanted a sensible timetable for GWR (and has obviously failed)

Ithoriel

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

― Douglas Adams

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 December 2020, 02:07:10 PM
Our fixed times are due to Isembard Kingdom Brunel, who wanted a sensible timetable for GWR (and has obviously failed)

It was a good idea, but he failed to realize that the train companies would find adhering to any sensible  timetable impossible.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Steve, a belated thanks for the vid of Naseby. Watching two actual generals fight a wargame was interesting particularly when they seemed no different than the typical wargamer. Watching the referee seemingly making it up as he went along confirmed my approach to solo gaming.  :)
Also thanks for the WO reminder.

Lindybiege on English coinage  (my total knowledge to date comes from Ken Follett's Kingsbridge books) is now on my view during the next snowstorm list
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: sean66 on 21 December 2020, 08:56:16 AM
Techno I'm not sure really but I think Days don't actually extend after the winter Solstice  :D
Daylight hours may extend but days stay roughly 24 Hours the whole year through  8)
Regards
Sean