Started by Leon, 15 December 2020, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Still a bit of thunder stealing.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 27 January 2021, 05:10:31 PM
TMP post now says SALUTE on 13th!

Yep, we've had the confirmation email today so it looks like they've seen the Warfare clash and adjusted slightly.  This does mean that we'll be at Broadside (Kent) on 6th Nov, Salute (London) on the 13th Nov, our own Battleground (Stockton) on 20th Nov, and then back down for Warfare (Ascot) on the 27th/28th November... That's going to be a hectic month!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Leon on 27 January 2021, 05:59:49 PM
Yep, we've had the confirmation email today so it looks like they've seen the Warfare clash and adjusted slightly.  This does mean that we'll be at Broadside (Kent) on 6th Nov, Salute (London) on the 13th Nov, our own Battleground (Stockton) on 20th Nov, and then back down for Warfare (Ascot) on the 27th/28th November... That's going to be a hectic month!

That sounds absolutely exhausting.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Smoking gun

Hello,
Will Pendraken be at Hammerhead on Saturday July 31st?

It might be too early for you to commit but it'll effect my budgeting and buying over the next couple of months.

Thank you and regards,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Leon

Quote from: Smoking gun on 04 March 2021, 11:15:16 AM
Will Pendraken be at Hammerhead on Saturday July 31st?

It might be too early for you to commit but it'll effect my budgeting and buying over the next couple of months.

If the show goes ahead then we'll be there, but I'm not optimistic about it at this stage.  The vaccine program is scheduled to only just be completed by then so there's a lot of things that could delay that (vaccine supply, new strains) and the government is likely to still enforce social distancing and face masks.  The latter isn't really a problem but the former really impacts a wargames show and makes them unviable really.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Leon on 27 January 2021, 05:59:49 PM

When will we need to get our orders in?  :D. It will be good to be able to pick up from trader stands but there could be a lot of pent up demand and a lot of orders.

Leon

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 04 March 2021, 01:44:01 PM
When will we need to get our orders in?  :D. It will be good to be able to pick up from trader stands but there could be a lot of pent up demand and a lot of orders.

Whenever you like, as long as it's more than 7 days in advance of the event!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Leon on 04 March 2021, 02:51:25 PM
Whenever you like, as long as it's more than 7 days in advance of the event!

I guess you won't be getting any sleep in November then, doing all the shows and working on the orders.  :o

Leon

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 04 March 2021, 08:52:11 PM
I guess you won't be getting any sleep in November then, doing all the shows and working on the orders.  :o

Doing a few shows in a row isn't normally too bad as long as we've got the people here to get everything restocked, but running our own show right in the middle there is going to be chaos!

DecemDave

Just to add my random thoughts (another post - another step nearer captain).

I don't think any 21 show can rely on the vaccination program.  The vaccination target is all adults offered a jab by end July.  If its a two-jab version, they wont be fully vaccinated and with full antibodies until November. And there is talk of booster jabs for variants. And then there are the "don't want it" brigade.   And vaccines are not 100% effective.  Its a pity there isn't equal research emphasis  on  cures. 

I think the demand for shows remains and the valiant efforts of the clubs to keep rescheduling suggests they do as well. I have mainly purchased online for decades. That has not stopped me going to shows. What you get at shows is browsing for stuff you don't know exists or discussing ideas/solutions in a faster way than you can on a forum like this.   And you get to see lots of displays and games, think "me want" and pay huge sums to traders because the other half is usually not there to keep an eye on you.   

But will it be safe?  Wargame shows tend not to be socially distanced . I can remember being able to take my feet off the floor at one bring and buy. They are also attended by non adults.  Or unvaccinated little germ carriers as I affectionately know them.  ;)  Events are indoors and need to  be  crowded to be successful.  So its a risk for the organising clubs in proceeding and all eyes will be on the first one to actually go ahead.   

For the older attendee, there is a definite Covid risk in attending and I think that's the key unknown about how many will accept that and how many wont. I am intending to take the risk around Autumn for smaller get togethers like SoA battle day  but no way am I going near a Salute/SELWG type event in 2021 and possibly not in 22 either.   

And then there is the travel.  I am too old to whizz up and down the country in a day as our honourable Viscount does.  So I used to attend Vapnertak as part of justifying a tour of friends and relatives:  Vapnertak = south coast home-midlands-york-sunderland-midlands-home but it takes some organising and I worry they have got out of the habit of enjoying my company.   

My conclusion is that any 21/early 22 shows that do happen will have fewer attendees and with a lower average age.

Orcs

I must admit I feel the same way Dave.

I ha e booked a gaming day in September for the mega To the strongest games, and I would hope to attend one or two of the smaller shows. With the proviso they are not to crowded. If they are I will turn around and go back home.

Hopefully 2022 will be a better year for shows.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Interesting thoughts Dave. I'm getting my 2nd jab next Saturday 24th, 12 weeks and 1 day after the first. (I'm marshaling this Sat) So looks as if we are well on time. So KIsuspect you may be a tad pessimistic in your analysis. The major problem will be the 12 week gap thought to be needed between jabs. FRom my limited experiance the actual process is very efficent (unlike the eye clinic at Arrowe Park) so there should be no hold-ups at that end. Here's hoping anyway.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DecemDave

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 April 2021, 12:48:28 PM
Interesting thoughts Dave. I'm getting my 2nd jab next Saturday 24th, 12 weeks and 1 day after the first. (I'm marshaling this Sat) So looks as if we are well on time. So KIsuspect you may be a tad pessimistic in your analysis. The major problem will be the 12 week gap thought to be needed between jabs. FRom my limited experiance the actual process is very efficent (unlike the eye clinic at Arrowe Park) so there should be no hold-ups at that end. Here's hoping anyway.

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.  The last 12 months has tended to dull my optimistic and sunny nature a tad.  :) :) 

Respect to you for helping out the jabbers.   =D>

Quote from: DecemDave on 15 April 2021, 03:03:10 PM
I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.  The last 12 months has tended to dull my optimistic and sunny nature a tad.  :) :) 

Respect to you for helping out the jabbers.   =D>

I hope you are proved wrong but respect your position. As to helping with marshaling well wanted to do something. Check with local surgeries to see if they are looking for volenteers  and put your name down.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Quote from: Orcs on 15 April 2021, 12:47:23 PM
I must admit I feel the same way Dave.

Mark......If you still intend to get anywhere near Techno Towers by having a break at Eggysulu (Sic).......I'd love to see you.
I'll even tell you how to pronounce that particular village. ;)

Cheers - Phil. :)