Show Dates 2021!

Started by Leon, 15 December 2020, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leon on 24 January 2021, 02:50:44 PM
Quick update for everyone, Broadside in Sittingbourne has been rescheduled for Saturday 6th November. 

Too far south for me, might clash with Crisis if its on.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 24 January 2021, 03:50:26 PM
Too far south for me, might clash with Crisis if its on.

I'm not sure what'll happen with Crisis, the paperwork and hassle involved in taking a trade stand to Belgium is extensive and I'm not sure if many wargames companies will find it viable anymore.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Lots of Comments about Salute 2021 on the South London Warlords and Salute Facebook page  None from the organizers about it since last August when things were very different.

I wonder if they are afraid of cancelling/postponing again as I expect most traders and Punters will want their money back.  I am not sure how many wouod accept another postponement of 6-12 months , while the organizers hold all the deposits. - I just hope they have sufficient funds to refund those who request it.

They seem to be relying on the fact that the closure date for the Nightinggale Hospital is 31st Marh.  However I cannot see it closing then, at most it is likely to be mothballed until they have vaccinated all those over 50 , which is supposed to be about autumn.

I believe they form a limited company each year, so if they have spent the money on preparing for the show they may not have the cash to give  refunds.

Anybody have any real info on this?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

No info from here, we've not heard anything from them since last July when they announced the 2021 date.  I'd imagine that they're stuck in an awkward position waiting for the government and ExCeL to pull the plug, otherwise they'd be liable for the cancellation costs. 

I think this time most traders will want the money back, as the future of all the shows is looking doubtful until autumn at the earliest.  A lot of companies might decide not to go back to shows at all, and another chunk will need that trade stand money to get them through these strange times.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Leon on 25 January 2021, 09:12:10 AM
No info from here, we've not heard anything from them since last July when they announced the 2021 date.  I'd imagine that they're stuck in an awkward position waiting for the government and ExCeL to pull the plug, otherwise they'd be liable for the cancellation costs. 

I think this time most traders will want the money back, as the future of all the shows is looking doubtful until autumn at the earliest.  A lot of companies might decide not to go back to shows at all, and another chunk will need that trade stand money to get them through these strange times.

That's very much what I was thinking.  By all accounts the Warlords have done very well profit wise over the years running Salute so hopefully they will be ok.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 24 January 2021, 04:54:50 PM
I'm not sure what'll happen with Crisis, the paperwork and hassle involved in taking a trade stand to Belgium is extensive and I'm not sure if many wargames companies will find it viable anymore.

A real shame, Crisis, plus a bit of sightseeing, and catching up with old friends was on my bucket list.

Let's hope that sanity and necessity see a shakedown of the new red tape.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 25 January 2021, 09:12:10 AM

Isn't ExCeL currently serving the nation as Nightingale (London) plus mass vaccination centre.
It'll take a while to get that decommmed and ready for normal usage.

Leon

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 January 2021, 10:58:02 AM
Let's hope that sanity and necessity see a shakedown of the new red tape.

I hope so.  We've been talking to our local council's Brexit transition team and the Crisis show would be a nightmare currently.  All of the stock needs to be exported/imported into Belgium, plus all of the stand equipment (racking/tills/display figures) has to be declared as non-sale items.  Then the same has to be done to leave Belgium after the show, with the possibility of them emptying the whole van at the side of the road to check it over.  We'd have to register in Belgium and pay someone to take care of our VAT payments there.  And finally all of us would need green cards and visas in order to travel there!

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 January 2021, 11:00:39 AM
Isn't ExCeL currently serving the nation as Nightingale (London) plus mass vaccination centre.
It'll take a while to get that decommmed and ready for normal usage.

I believe they were planned to be there for at least a year.  So yes they ae unlikely to be closed on March 31st, They may be 'put in mothballs' if we ae over this spike by then, but i doubt they will be decommissioned fully until after the vaccine rollout is complete.  Due to the amount of effort to put them in in the first place. The government would be mad to close them completely until we have Covid fully under control.

I just wonder if they are paying for them or have requisitioned them as a national emergency.

Orcs

Quote from: Leon on 25 January 2021, 11:19:52 AM
I hope so.  We've been talking to our local council's Brexit transition team and the Crisis show would be a nightmare currently.  All of the stock needs to be exported/imported into Belgium, plus all of the stand equipment (racking/tills/display figures) has to be declared as non-sale items.  Then the same has to be done to leave Belgium after the show, with the possibility of them emptying the whole van at the side of the road to check it over.  We'd have to register in Belgium and pay someone to take care of our VAT payments there.  And finally all of us would need green cards and visas in order to travel there!

Sounds like a complete non-starter.

Steve J

Certainly as a trader it sounds more hassle than it's worth to attend shows in Europe.

mollinary

Post on TMP reporting a Warlords post on Facebook. Bottom line. ........ SALUTE postponed to 27th November.   Didn't say which year!

'M'
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

This is going to be fun, Warfare is already scheduled for 27th/28th November!  Once again, shows not checking the calendar to make sure that they don't clash with others.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 25 January 2021, 11:19:52 AM

I recall reading similar stuff soon after travel was relaxed to Poland and East Germany.
I think this was Private Eye.
Orchestras had to register their instruments in and out (Have you seen the price of Violins? - madness).

It reached a head when a double bass player switched orchestras, and somehow didn't get all his paperwork handed over.
He was stopped at the German border and accused of smuggling 12 double basses into the country.

The problem in this case was that the individuals completed their inbound paperwork.
The Orchestra's agents in country completed the exit paperwork in bulk, and the two records had not been merged.

Good luck in reaching a saner method of trading overseas.
The Current arrangements are OK for a Honda or GSK, but ridiculous for any small enterprise.

mollinary

Quote from: Leon on 26 January 2021, 10:09:03 AM
This is going to be fun, Warfare is already scheduled for 27th/28th November!  Once again, shows not checking the calendar to make sure that they don't clash with others.

TMP post now says SALUTE on 13th!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!