Show Dates 2021!

Started by Leon, 15 December 2020, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean66

Quote from: Leon on 17 December 2020, 10:15:47 AM
Crisis will be an interesting one as most of the UK traders I speak to don't think they'll be going anymore post-Brexit.  The added paperwork, Customs charges on whatever they sell, plus delays on travel times will make it a lot more difficult.

I think the last Tactica I went to had only 1 UK trader in attendance. Crisis had a lot more.
I think ill wait and see what the extra cost will be to ship stuff over here.
one possibility is ordering it to my sons house over a few months then just picking up in one big go.
there is a wargames shop in Nuremberg that does a lot of different wargaming but mostly 28mm
not really my size. I'm mostly into 6/10mm.
but I do know the gentleman behind the DRM Miniatures lives about an hour away and has a cellar full of figures
so might contact him to buy some.
Regards
Sean

Leon

Quote from: sean66 on 17 December 2020, 11:45:53 AM
I think ill wait and see what the extra cost will be to ship stuff over here.

I don't think there'll be much difference initially, Royal Mail are putting a small increase on their prices but not enough to warrant us changing anything.  The bonus will be that you can order VAT-free so everything becomes 1/6th cheaper for you in Germany.  Then it'll depend on how the German Customs work and if there's customs and handling fees due at your end.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sean66

Quote from: Leon on 17 December 2020, 04:01:16 PM
I don't think there'll be much difference initially, Royal Mail are putting a small increase on their prices but not enough to warrant us changing anything.  The bonus will be that you can order VAT-free so everything becomes 1/6th cheaper for you in Germany.  Then it'll depend on how the German Customs work and if there's customs and handling fees due at your end.
yea its a waiting game there's been no mention of customs and handling fee's as yet.
luckily I'm not desperate for any figures. So it will be a stay calm and wait game.
Regards
Sean

hammurabi70

Quote from: Leon on 16 December 2020, 09:50:04 PM
We've been wondering that as well, the two sides may cancel each other out and we'll see the same numbers but I do worry that a lot of people will have realised that they can get all of their goodies online and they don't need to risk travelling, as well as paying for parking and food, etc.

Long-term I would see it just as an acceleration of a trend already there. 20 years ago I was attending to meet up with friends and see the latest ideas and products, which might mean three or four shows a year. Nowadays it has been two every other year with a preference for SALUTE when the savings on postage can offset the cost. However, show attendance seems increasingly about buying and the advantage of NOT attending is the saving in time. For many it is probably cheaper in both time and money to buy online so unless there are solid social reasons to go attendance will continue to decline.

jimduncanuk

Once the coronavirus situation is a bit clearer and more manageable I expect I will attempt to attend any of the 'normal' shows in range of me. Historically York, Dumfries, Falkirk, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Penrith, Gateshead, Middlesbrough, Forfar, Kirriemuir and Antwerp. I fully expect to be disappointed at some point.

I will still make internet purchases, sometimes collect at shows and sometimes casual purchases and flea market/bring & buy goodies. I also sometimes sell at shows, often in support of a charity.
My Ego forbids a signature.

fsn

Part of the issue for me at the only show I go to (St Helens) is that so much in "not applicable".

I'm not really interested in many of the games. They are 28mm or fantasy or ... no, that's about it. I am not what you would call a "participant".  

I'm not really interested in most of the stalls. The book sellers, a couple of the scenery/accessories, but I have no interest in Perry miniatures or Frostgrave or board games or a brand new rule set for the War of Jenkins' Ear.   There's another stall that I visit. Can't quite remember the name of it ... Oh yes. Tumbling Dice. Always pop in to see the tiny aeroplanes.

For me it's like going to a sports exhibition when I'm only interested in cricket.  

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Genom

That's Carronade provisionally booked for the 25th Sept.  (Provisionally taking into account that the state of the nation at that time may still have other restrictions in mind)

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Genom on 18 December 2020, 07:17:18 PM
That's Carronade provisionally booked for the 25th Sept.  (Provisionally taking into account that the state of the nation at that time may still have other restrictions in mind)

Well it's a start.
My Ego forbids a signature.

DHautpol

22 December 2020, 02:16:52 PM #23 Last Edit: 22 December 2020, 02:19:39 PM by DHautpol
Much will depend on the roll-out of the vaccines over the next few months as production increases and other vaccines are sanctioned; they are being rolled-out as my mother had her first dose this week (she was 90 in November).

I usually attend four shows: SALUTE is looking a big ask as it's not that far off and the Warlords will be having to make their "go-no go" decision soon (if they haven't already). October's SELWG is, I believe, taking a sabbatical, which leaves COLOURS and WARFARE in September and November respectively. I've never attended CRISIS, although it's on my "to-do-list"; I remember Leon from Adler being very enthusiastic about it to me a few years back.

I think that COLOURS and WARFARE should be quite feasible, although I would imagine that face-coverings might still be required when travelling and in enclosed spaces.  They seems to manage wearing coverings quite well in the Far East where the collective psyche still seems to be affected by the SARS outbreak about 10 years ago.

Whilst websites have improved enormously and have lots of photos, I still like to see the figures in my hand and get a feel for them, which is why I enjoy the shows.  I usually compile orders to be picked up in person, that way my money goes to the trader without part of it having to be passed to the courier.  Fortunately, I live in the South East and all these shows (clearly not not CRISIS) are do-able in a day and I recently qualified for my Freedom Pass which takes care of the travel expenses.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

There are approximately some 28 million people in the UK above 50. to give them the two dose treatment of the vaccine is 56 Million doses. 

Each patient is supposed to get a 15 minute slot so thats 4 shots an hour by each person giving the vaccine

The NHS plane to recruits 30,000 volunteers to give out the vaccine - so that approx 120,000 doses an hour or 960,000 per 8 hour day

So we are looking at around 2 months minimum to vaccinate those at greater risk.

This assumes :-

1 It really does only take 15 mins per person to vaccinate them. Practically the first shot takes longer due to paperwork  - some of the first shots are taking an hour.
2. We can get enough vaccine to run at nearly 1 Million vaccinations a day
3 We can actually get the extra 30,000 volunteers needed to do this.

So In reality I think its unlikely that any shows will be allowed to run before June 2021.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If it's like the Flu jab it should only need 5 minutes, been getting it for 6 yrs.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Flu jabs don't need to be stored at -70. That's got to complicate things a little.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 December 2020, 04:09:17 PM
If it's like the Flu jab it should only need 5 minutes, been getting it for 6 yrs.

neither do you have to fill out loads of paperwork. My brother took his neighbor to get  vaccinated. Goes something liike this

Arirve at doctors. Speak to receptionist to confirm your thiere
Wait 5 mins for the nurse to come out .
Nurse confirms your details. spends 15 mins explaining about the vaccine and any possible side effects, Then gives you some form to fill out and sign basicaly stating that you wish to to have the vaccine and accept all the possible risks
Back to reception to fill out forms,
10 mins later nurse calls you again
Confirms who are and takes forms
Then you get the vaccine

Whole process took over an hour, about half the time you were with the nurse. If this is the case for the most people it will be at least 4 months for the over 50s to be vaccinated 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 22 December 2020, 02:54:40 PM
There are approximately some 28 million people in the UK above 50. to give them the two dose treatment of the vaccine is 56 Million doses. 

Each patient is supposed to get a 15 minute slot so thats 4 shots an hour by each person giving the vaccine

The NHS plane to recruits 30,000 volunteers to give out the vaccine - so that approx 120,000 doses an hour or 960,000 per 8 hour day

So we are looking at around 2 months minimum to vaccinate those at greater risk.

This assumes :-

1 It really does only take 15 mins per person to vaccinate them. Practically the first shot takes longer due to paperwork  - some of the first shots are taking an hour.
2. We can get enough vaccine to run at nearly 1 Million vaccinations a day
3 We can actually get the extra 30,000 volunteers needed to do this.

So In reality I think its unlikely that any shows will be allowed to run before June 2021.

The shooter can overlap their targets. (ie they're not on a 15 minute reload)
Most of the 15 minutes is sitting in recovery to ensure you don't get an adverse reaction.
With a large enough clinic you can shove them out to a dispersal area with one person running a timer.

That's how it worked when my mother and father were done.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 22 December 2020, 04:33:29 PM
Flu jabs don't need to be stored at -70. That's got to complicate things a little.

I complicates the supply chain, but they are good above -70 for a 3 day window, so shouldn't delay the injections process.