SCAMS....Email (without an apostrophe) and by phone

Started by Techno II, 13 December 2020, 11:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecemDave

Like most here, we have had the "amazon prime renewal", the "arrest warrant over unpaid taxes", the "router has been compromised" and your "PC has errors" .  I love the latter because I used to work in IT so I can keep them busy.  Problem is you then go on a "hit this one" revenge list .  I tried a line once of saying "I'm sorry, he died last night and we are here arranging his funeral, and the a.hole on the other end didn't miss a beat in saying "well perhaps you would be interested instead"....   Those types seem to have faded away to the robo-call and automated message versions and yu only get a person if you press "1" 

The issue for us is that we cant use the unknown/withheld blocking features on our landline because legit organisations (NHS I'm looking at you) use that method.  Don't the individuals who set that legit system up get this same scam rubbish as the rest of us? BT et al should end the unknown/withheld capability.

On mobiles Apple and Google definitely  could collect data on phone numbers blocked by more than a set number of people.  I also think we should have the Spanish system where mobile numbers are linked to a verified address even though it was a bit of a pain when I needed a local SIM there. 

So I am forced to agree with a previous post that this nonsense survives because no-one with the power to stop it has any incentive to do so  and possibly an incentive not to.  Scam emails continue but are largely  held back by spam filters and occasional action by Microsoft and other big providers closing down the rogue servers.  They have an incentive of keeping legit traffic moving.     

Techno II

Very true, Dave.

Von & I get quite a few genuine 'withheld' numbers at the mo.....NHS...Registrar for births deaths & marriages....because of Von's Mum dying a couple of weeks ago.

I'd genuinely like to have the round spherical things to press 1.....That bothers me in the respect that that might connect me to some super premium rate line.

Cheers - Phil

Techno II

AAARGH !!!

I actually fell for one last week. X_X

Someone, (allegedly from Middlesbrough), phoned and asked if I'd repair some figures, which had gone waffy in a mould.

"Yeah...I'll do those, no probs !" (Thinking there would be four of five of them.)

WRONG !!....Should have thought......A whole mould's worth is more like 20 figures.

Boy...was I suckered !  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. ;)

sunjester

There's some very dodgy customers about Phil!  ;D ;D ;D

Techno II

But he was just SO believable, Graham.  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. ;)

Leon

Quote from: Techno II on 27 June 2021, 07:47:21 AM
Someone, (allegedly from Middlesbrough), phoned and asked if I'd repair some figures, which had gone waffy in a mould.

"Yeah...I'll do those, no probs !" (Thinking there would be four of five of them.)

WRONG !!....Should have thought......A whole mould's worth is more like 20 figures.

This sounds like a proper shady character...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno II

If I ever find out who it was........ ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil ;)

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

hammurabi70

The "BT" scam seems to have gone automated; this morning's try was machine driven.

hammurabi70