SCAMS....Email (without an apostrophe) and by phone

Started by Techno II, 13 December 2020, 11:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

13 December 2020, 11:15:05 AM Last Edit: 13 December 2020, 11:17:31 AM by Techno II
I'm just seeing if I can make this a 'sticky' thread.
I agree...we should have something like this.

Ignore me for the time being. :P

Cheers - Phil :)

Techno II

Think that's done.  :)

Put all your vitriolic posts (and warnings) about these frigging sc*mbags here. >:(

Cheers - Phil :)

Ithoriel

Call yesterday from a company offering a warranty on my five most expensive kitchen white goods for a one-off payment of £149.

Don't know if it was a scam or merely unsolicited hard-sell.

I spent an interesting 23 minutes with a gentleman, discussing the finer points of difference between insurance and warranty and arguing my point that they were functionally the same.

We moved on to my contention that all insurance was basically betting and that they were betting my white goods would need less than £149 worth of repairs or replacement and I would be betting they would need more and since they, presumably, knew the odds better than I, I was happy to assume they were right.

My final argument that betting was forbidden by my religion lead to a brief debate over whether Pastafarianism was actually a religion before he cut the call. Perhaps I should have claimed to be a Jedi?

Happy Days.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you all with his noodly appendages! :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

I don't think Pastafarianism bans betting. I'm just looking forward to the Stripper Factory they have in heaven.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

Quote from: Last Hussar on 03 January 2021, 03:21:44 PM
I don't think Pastafarianism bans betting. I'm just looking forward to the Stripper Factory they have in heaven.

Pretty sure Pastafariansim bans dogma :)

Besides I'm a follower of the schismatic Vegetarian Pastafarianism which believes the FSM is composed of vegetarian pasta and Linda McCartney's meatless meatballs. ;)

May his ethically sourced appendages touch you all :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

A new one......

Though I'm not totally convinced about its authenticity.....

You receive a call, and a real person (for a change) asks if you can hear them OK.
They allegedly simply want you to say "yes"......So they can clone/copy your telephone number...and your voice.....and then order stuff from a firm that uses an automated  ordering service..... Allegedly they use your recorded "Yes" to do this.

Quite where it goes from there, I'm not sure......But if it IS true....Don't say 'yes' if someone asks you if you can hear them......Just say "I can hear you."

If anyone knows anymore about this one, feel free to chip in.

Cheers - Phil :-\

Big Insect

The real question Phil - is why you are such a target for these scammers?
:D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Gwydion

This scam/story about this possible scam, has been around since late 2016 - mainly in the US initially.
Haven't seen any evidence of the second part of the scam - actual illicit use of the recorded 'Yes'.
May be true but there are doubts about the existence of any system that would allow this as the charging mechanism.
It may be part of a plan to beat two factor authentication if voice recognition is used on phone apps, but so far there is serious doubt about its veracity.
So far. :)

Techno II

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 January 2021, 01:31:34 PM

No.....Not me, Guv.

Something Von picked up on faceache this morning.

It doesn't sound 'quite right' to me either......But you never know.

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 January 2021, 01:31:34 PM

I have his phone number, I like silly voices, I get bored.

Who could resist?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: Gwydion on 18 January 2021, 01:32:57 PM
This scam/story about this possible scam, has been around since late 2016 - mainly in the US initially.
Haven't seen any evidence of the second part of the scam - actual illicit use of the recorded 'Yes'.
May be true but there are doubts about the existence of any system that would allow this as the charging mechanism.
It may be part of a plan to beat two factor authentication if voice recognition is used on phone apps, but so far there is serious doubt about its veracity.
So far. :)

This - can't possibly see how anyone could use this. Feels very tin foil hat.

What they want is payment info - how would any company know what you sound like when saying Yes? Or what would they compare it against.

Sounds very FB
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gwydion

Just received an email invitation from the 'NHS' to book a covid vaccine appointment.
I need to click to accept or decline.
Don't think that will be happening .

My name not on invitation
NHS apparently issuing invitations based on 'family genetics and medical history'
senders underlying email address is 'karlbigboy17@hotmail.co.uk;D (I know we live in an informal world but I don't see  NHS Management going for that one.