DPD and Royal Mail Courier Scams

Started by John Cook, 13 December 2020, 01:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Hi everybody.  Just to alert you to a new fraud scam, which is taking advantage of the season when people will be expecting parcels.  It purports to come from the courier company Dynamic Parcel Distribution (DPD UK)

This is the email address of the sender:
DPD GB - Parcel Delivery & Courier Services zcyb@telenet.be
Note that the company name is garbled and the Belgian provider.  The message says:

"We tried to deliver your parcel today but you weren't in or there was no safe place to leave it.
Your action is required. If this item is unclaimed by the return date, then it will be returned to sender.
The first and second delivery attempt was free of charge.
To schedule a new delivery, a shipping fee must be paid."

It then invites you to follow a link which asks for bank/card details.  There is some stuff on-line about this scam, which has been doing the rounds recently.  I received mine this afternoon.   There is, apparently, a similar scam that purports to come from Royal Mail.

Suspicious emails can be reported to the National Cyber Security Centre at report@phishing.gov.uk"

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Not seen the Royal Mail one, but had a DPD one, just sent to spam.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Von had the DPD one, two or three of weeks ago. She tends to automatically delete 'unexpected' mails without even opening them.

Cheers - Phil.

John Cook

13 December 2020, 09:47:40 AM #4 Last Edit: 13 December 2020, 09:53:41 AM by John Cook
There is so much of this stuff about these days perhaps it might be useful to start a separate 'scam' folder, probably under Non Wargaming Discussion.  What do you think Leon?

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

One of our home workers almost fell for this, as we send out kit using DPD and she was expecting delivery. Luckily disaster was averted as she rang our helpdesk to triple-check first before clicking the link.

Techno II

I think I've made a 'sticky' SCAMS thread ! ;)

It should/could prove useful to us all.

Cheers - Phil