The over-rated

Started by FierceKitty, 03 December 2020, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I thought that was an open secret (like Ed VIII & Wallis's Nazi sympathies), but as it didn't really affect the war effort or his political work it wasn't deemed significant?

With similar surfacing about Nehru it does make me wonder about his favouritism during partition - did Nehru have enough grim evidence to actually sink him?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

Can I add mushy peas to the list?  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

Could be worse, could be Gray Pays!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

flamingpig0

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 December 2020, 06:06:04 PM
I thought that was an open secret (like Ed VIII & Wallis's Nazi sympathies), but as it didn't really affect the war effort or his political work it wasn't deemed significant?

With similar surfacing about Nehru it does make me wonder about his favouritism during partition - did Nehru have enough grim evidence to actually sink him?

There is  some evidence that Nehru was having an affair with Mountbatten's Wife
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Big Insect

Strictly Come Dancing  :o

But actually most TV - especially at this time of year
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Saw a little Strictly this evening. Must be good for something, Bill Bailey looks ten years younger than he did a year ago!

Mountbatten, his wife and Nehru - I gather that was a very open secret, much like his marriage!

Last Hussar

Patton was a glory hunter, and a dangerous one. His push to Metz left his units with no supplies - he was actually raiding the 'land trains' of other commanders to supply the III army, and he was so short of POL because he over-extended that had the Germans been able to counter-attack on the right days, his tanks would have been literally stationary.

If you look at Napoleon, people point to his illnesses, and the fact he was relying on boys to fight in 1813-14, but I never see pointed out the fact that he was now fighting armies he had converted to his new system ("French" v "Prussian", "Impulse" v "Linear" or however your rules refer to it.)  All of a sudden he was fighting modern armies of manoeuvre, not static, linear ones.

A lot of it comes down to preparation, and availability. The idea of WWI butchers is misplaced; infantry tactics did evolve, but until the tank appeared, the machine gun was just too powerful in defence. The idea they were all Blackadder's Gen Melchetts is wrong. Battles are less about the manoeuvre on the field, and more about did you get enough of the right units in the right place in the days before.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quite right, the amatur studies tactics, the professional logistics.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Patton did what Rommel did - neither ever faced an opposition that could capitalise on their arrogance/initiative* - luckily for both their reputations, and both had larger command structures that saved them when needed.

Absolutely agree Napoleon changed warfare - and once his enemies changed in response he no longer had an automatic superiority. A lack of a strategic "stop point" and boundless arrogance meant he could never quit whilst ahead, there always had to be just one more thing...
*delete as appropriate

Big Insect

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 December 2020, 09:30:51 PM
Love Strictly

Each to their own  :D

Heinz Sandwich Spread (if they still make it) reminded me of cold sick in a jar as a kid -  :'( yuk!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.