The over-rated

Started by FierceKitty, 03 December 2020, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

13 December 2020, 12:36:58 PM #30 Last Edit: 13 December 2020, 12:38:30 PM by steve_holmes_11
Quote from: John Cook on 13 December 2020, 12:07:17 PM
Hard to know why, but it might be because these kinds of discussions often lead to the deeply unpleasant, appallingly rude, partisan rubbish that is seen on other forums, such as TMP, The Napoleonic Wars Forum and the, now defunct, Napoleon Series.

Proper Historians have long moved to the idea that history is driven by systems and events, as opposed to the "great man" theory.
"Great man" thinking persists on television, because the narrative fits a 30 or 60 minute program format better than the deeper storytelling necessary for a complete view.
It lives on in the school classroom for similar reasons.

One pleasant result of the "new history" is the decline of marauding packs of fanboys, getting angry and abusive about poorly documented events that occurred centuries ago.
The fanboys appear to be living out their dotage on internet forums, where they end up sounding like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_rufmxYbA

(The Producers - Churchill Rotten Painter)

FierceKitty

And at the same time butterflies flap their wings and cause storms. The fight's not over, just changing the arena.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: John Cook on 13 December 2020, 12:07:17 PM
Hard to know why, but it might be because these kinds of discussions often lead to the deeply unpleasant, appallingly rude, partisan rubbish that is seen on other forums, such as TMP, The Napoleonic Wars Forum and the, now defunct, Napoleon Series.

Well I agree we don't want to get into anything like that, but the point of FK's post was surely to invite opinions and generate discussion. Anyway: certainly not looking to wind people up or start a fight. We have the Forum Barfight for that!

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 13 December 2020, 02:15:07 PM
We have the Forum Barfight for that!

But the pub is closed so need to export it somewhere else Tier 3 don't you know ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

I think I trust the vast majority of the forum to try and NOT to start a really nasty argument......It's just not worth it.

That's why we keep going on about......Keep politics and religion OFF the forum.....Which is why I believe we do so well.

(If only =)) A 'really good' debate.....Where people actually bother to listen, and take in, and try and comprehend a view that's not their own.....Is absolutely great !

If folk just go....."My view is 'A'....and if you don't agree with me, you're a complete wonker......And then vice versa....So the folk that think 'B' is the only answer...and 'A' is talking absolute 'poop'...doesn't help at all.

Personally, I think folk on both extremes are people I would never want to give the time of day to.

Remember.....I've got 'buttons'......and I don't wait to ask Sir ;) :d :d
The World is far too polarised already. :-*

Cheers - Phil

DHautpol

Whilst I agree that Mountbatten had a great appetite for self-promotion, I wonder how much was driven by the treatment meted out to his father; forced by public opinion from his role as First Sea Lord in WWI because of his German heritage.  
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

18 December 2020, 04:05:14 PM #37 Last Edit: 18 December 2020, 04:07:15 PM by ianrs54
Quote from: Techno II on 13 December 2020, 04:30:45 PM
I think I trust the vast majority of the forum to try and NOT to start a really nasty argument......It's just not worth it.

Phil - You obviously don't know me very well  :}
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

You Muppet !  ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

John Cook

Quote from: DHautpol on 18 December 2020, 01:01:56 PM
Whilst I agree that Mountbatten had a great appetite for self-promotion, I wonder how much was driven by the treatment meted out to his father; forced by public opinion from his role as First Sea Lord in WWI because of his German heritage.  

Most people who rise to the top of military rank tend to have enormous egos, otherwise they'd remain in relative obscurity, but give Mountbatten his due.  Although under his leadership as Head of Combined Operations, the Dieppe Raid was an disaster, the Bruneval Raid and the St Nazaire Raid were, on the other hand, successful.

flamingpig0

Quote from: John Cook on 18 December 2020, 07:03:11 PM
Most people who rise to the top of military rank tend to have enormous egos, otherwise they'd remain in relative obscurity, but give Mountbatten his due.  Although under his leadership as Head of Combined Operations, the Dieppe Raid was an disaster, the Bruneval Raid and the St Nazaire Raid were, on the other hand, successful.

Some people blame him for the ongoing Kashmir dispute https://www.matrixmag.com/lord-mountbatten-responsible-for-kashmir-dispute/

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 18 December 2020, 08:17:54 PM
Some people blame him for the ongoing Kashmir dispute https://www.matrixmag.com/lord-mountbatten-responsible-for-kashmir-dispute/

Nothing to do with generalship though, which is what the thread is about.

flamingpig0

19 December 2020, 05:16:11 PM #44 Last Edit: 19 December 2020, 05:22:01 PM by flamingpig0
Quote from: John Cook on 18 December 2020, 10:40:22 PM
Nothing to do with generalship though, which is what the thread is about.

I take your point but it is interesting that apparently the FBI were raising concerns  about him in 1944 after he was named supreme allied commander of southeast Asia.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/lord-mountbatten-pedophile-allegations

Of course that begs the question that if the FBI knew does that mean the British Intelligence services were also aware? One would have thought that he should have been seen as a massive liability
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James