The over-rated

Started by FierceKitty, 03 December 2020, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 03 December 2020, 08:47:34 AM
It might be more interesting to hear about the top 5  underrated generals

I'll get you started with:

Slim: Highly rated now, but always the man in the unfashionable theatre.

Admiral Yi (Korea): Did a lot of ship fighting, and almost as much land fighting, constantly disadvantaged by court intrigues, but always victorious.

Suvorov is not as well known in the west as he deserves.

FierceKitty

Yi and Suvarov are hardly underrated, I'd say. I've never read a disparaging word about either.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Perhappes they are under-publicised
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Remembered for one disastrous loss, Rosecrans is much underrated I think. He suffered from a cantankerous personality and superiors who had better publicity departments (he totally made McClellan's early reputation, for example). His use of maneuver and misdirection on several  occasions is worth a rating higher than he generally receives.

Speaking of publicity departments, Montrose is overrated and benefited from his erstwhile subordinate, Alasdair  MacColla. As a general MacColla is usually underrated, being portrayed as a brave, but bumbling hulk. He had far better strategic sense than Montrose (as to what was  possible) and could read the tactical  situation better than most.

Hammurabi makes a good point about ratings. Mine are highly personal using my own yardstick which is rather elastic and driven by current mood.  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Napoleon in 1798 was not the Napoleon of 1805 ... nor was he the Napoleon of 1813 and definitely not the Napoleon of 1815.
Similarly Napoleon's army of 1798 was not the one of 1805 etc.
Which was the best Napoleon?

Rommel in 1940 had a different mission from Rommel in 1944.  His relationship with the upper echelons was different. His forces in 1940 were not the same as those in 1944.
Which was the best Rommel?  

Would Patton have been anything but panzer fodder if he had command of a Polish army in 1939?  Would Harold Godwinson have beaten William the B if he hadn't had the sojourn in the North? Would Moore have continued to lead the British in the Peninsula if he hadn't had a poem written about him? What then of Wellesley? Would Lee have been a shining light wearing blue?    

Context, dear boy, context.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chris Pringle

07 December 2020, 08:24:32 AM #22 Last Edit: 07 December 2020, 08:29:42 AM by Chris Pringle
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 04 December 2020, 11:45:37 AM
Suvorov is not as well known in the west as he deserves.

I agree, Suvorov was an amazing character, beloved by his troops. One characteristic episode: when his men were repulsed at the St Gotthard Pass, he lay in a ditch wailing 'you are no longer my children!' and motivating them to give it another (successful) go.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 December 2020, 11:49:47 AM
Yi and Suvarov are hardly underrated, I'd say. I've never read a disparaging word about either.

While Clausewitz gives Suvorov due praise for his leadership - who else could have led an army on that mad march over the Alps and made it out the other side? - he also points out some limitations. E.g., Suvorov was a difficult man to get on with: he managed to insult and offend the Austrians under his command by the way he made them practise bayonet assaults, implying he didn't think they knew how to attack.

As for another over-rated general: how about Archduke Charles? Frequently praised (with justification) as Austria's best general of the Napoleonic Wars, but people seem to forget how badly he performed in 1799. I particularly cherish his comically incompetent failed attempt at a river crossing near Zurich, which reads like a badly designed wargame scenario in which 200 Swiss riflemen exploit a rules loophole to prevent Charles's 30,000 allied troops from getting across.

Anyway, Clausewitz's histories of 1799 are a great read.
https://kansaspress.ku.edu/978-0-7006-3025-7.html
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2020/09/exceptional-elegant-and-accessible.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

flamingpig0

Just imagine how Ramesses ii would make use of social media
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

FierceKitty

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 07 December 2020, 11:43:47 AM
Just imagine how Ramesses ii would have made use of social media.

I thought he did!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 07 December 2020, 11:43:47 AM
Just imagine how Ramesses ii would make use of social media

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 December 2020, 11:56:04 AM
I thought he did!

Ramesses wrote on walls, was desperate for followers, had odd ideas on how the world worked and venerated cats. Social media on the other hand ...  Oh! ... wait! .... I see what you mean :) :) :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 December 2020, 12:55:22 PM
Ramesses wrote on walls, was desperate for followers, had odd ideas on how the world worked and venerated cats. Social media on the other hand ...  Oh! ... wait! .... I see what you mean :) :) :)

;D

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 07 December 2020, 08:24:32 AM
As for another over-rated general: how about Archduke Charles? Frequently praised (with justification) as Austria's best general of the Napoleonic Wars, but people seem to forget how badly he performed in 1799. I particularly cherish his comically incompetent failed attempt at a river crossing near Zurich, which reads like a badly designed wargame scenario in which 200 Swiss riflemen exploit a rules loophole to prevent Charles's 30,000 allied troops from getting across.

Kinda disappointed nobody leapt to defend Archduke Charles against the accusation of being over-rated ... did I do too good a job of making the case against him?  :)

Chris

toxicpixie

We're mostly British, and either think you went to small as he's a European and not Wellington or Nelson, or have done mild reading and assume you're trolling, Chris ;)

Monty. I used to think he was appalling then I read his memoirs and somehow formed an even lower opinion of him. Such a load of self aggrandising pap have I never seen (outside of MacArthur & Patton). Then I mellowed as I aged and realised whilst he was almost always wrong on detail, his broad scope was often correct, and he wasn't paralysed with fear of failure but rather was mostly meticulous in the the dotting of T's and crossing of I's that win strategic victory ;)

Mountbatten on the other hand I have a deep and abiding loathing for as every operation he touched spent lives like water for his personal attempt to worm in and place himself inside the Royals (although he had to settle for Phil the Greek, but that was enough).
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

John Cook

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 10 December 2020, 12:36:56 PM
Kinda disappointed nobody leapt to defend Archduke Charles against the accusation of being over-rated ... did I do too good a job of making the case against him?  :)
Chris

Hard to know why, but it might be because these kinds of discussions often lead to the deeply unpleasant, appallingly rude, partisan rubbish that is seen on other forums, such as TMP, The Napoleonic Wars Forum and the, now defunct, Napoleon Series.