Oders execution sequence - clarification.

Started by marfac70, 02 December 2020, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marfac70

02 December 2020, 04:16:25 PM Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 11:42:28 PM by Leon
Dear all,
i was able finally to dig out my BK IV copy and restart reading it and training.
Have a doubt regarding the firing order sequence.
I mean, suppose that my CO gives to some of the combat units (tanks)  under it's command a move order and to the other ones, the majority, a Fire Order against an enemy formation (let's say of tanks too).  
How do I have to process the orders?
Moving first and then firing , or it's up to me?
And regarding firing order, have I to declare upfront all the fire orders and the related objectives and then roll the dice ,even if some of the targets could have been destroyed or suppressed in the meantime, or can I decide one target at time, after having resolved the previous fire?

Thanks
Marco

fred.

Hi Marco

If you give different types of orders to a group it is up to you on the order of execution. So you could fire one group, then move the other.

As to firing, we certainly play that you have to declare targets before rolling dice. It speeds things up a bit, and means a bit of judgement from the player to commit enough firing resources to targets, but not too much you end up with lots of wasted shots. Remember that a single unit can only fire at one single target it can't split its shooting dice between targets.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T-Square

You could shoot part of the unit, then move another part of the unit that was going to move, then fire a final part of the unit. As long as the units do what you ordered you can take the actions in the order you wish.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi - the only thing to remember is to run the senior HQ last. It's not absolutly clear, but I generaly work up the chain of command, so CHQ/Sub Hq trhen Btn Hqs the Brigade HQ's.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Ian - you are overcomplicated things  :D

Order all your HQs before you do anything with you CO as once the CO has finished all his orders, your game turn ends - I usually do my FAOs & FACs first, then HQs then (if they have not already moves or undertaken any recce actions previously) I move my Recce, then I move onto my CO.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

holdfast

That's extremely helpful Big Insect thank you

Glorfindel

I just feel sorry for Oders - save the Pendraken one !

Sorry...    Phil

T-Square

Big Insect, isn't it if the CO fails an order the turn is over and no in-used HQs/FAC/FAO may give orders? Page 22.

T-Square

Big Insect

Quote from: T-Square on 20 January 2021, 10:55:45 PM
Big Insect, isn't it if the CO fails an order the turn is over and no in-used HQs/FAC/FAO may give orders? Page 22.

Yes - exactly - once the CO has finished making all orders (& that includes failing) then that players game turn is over, with the exception of the CO making its final move..
So no further orders can be made by that side. You cannot then use an HQ or FAO/FAC or Recce or Sniper.

Which is why the order in which I have suggested using the Command units above, makes sense. Or am I being unclear?
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.