Naval Gunfire on D Day

Started by holdfast, 21 January 2021, 09:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holdfast

Now that I am embarked or even disembarked on my Juno beach scenario I am thinking about calling in naval bombardment.
It seems to me that if that weight of stuff hits it certainly suppresses and no possibility of any saves. What is the thinking?

jimduncanuk

Not sure if it was Rodney or Nelson but Tiger tanks were getting turned upside down due to near misses.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

Pretty sure it was Rodney, Nelson hit two mines on 18 June and was withdrawn for repairs
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Both present, as were Warspite and Texas.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

T13A

Hi

Not sure any Tigers were encountered on D Day?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

holdfast

Sounds unlike minor irritation and a lot more like suppression to me. I will go for that. I tried it on a bunker at the edge of the beach, the fire drifted as per the rules and it caught the forward edge of the advancing Canadians. Not unrealistic as a simulation I think.

steve_holmes_11

It's been a while since I played any WW2.

I found few rules that got the level of command quite right (Tips hat to Chain of Command and Crossfire, which are pretty good, but at a relatively low level).
Something that never felt quite right were corps/army level assets dropping precision fire onto frontline positions.
The "Sniper" with the Battleship, Long Tom or Bomber.

Much reading later, I understand that these units were usually providing area bombardment to area targets behind the frontlines.
Railyards, road junctions, assembly areas, logistics centres.
There may be exceptions for coastal emplacements, and I know of a few occasions when the US artillery's 155s got uncomfortably close* to the enemy and remained in action.

* Uncomfortable for both sides.

There is one occasion with Nelson, used to engage a cyclist....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Quote from: T13A on 22 January 2021, 08:58:41 AM
Hi

Cheers Paul

True ... but if you can flip a 55 ton Tiger with a near miss just think what you would do to infantry, Hannomags and the other stuff that was there on D-Day.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 January 2021, 12:16:53 PM

A cyclist you say .... must've been an FAO ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 January 2021, 11:04:58 AM
. . . I understand that these units were usually providing area bombardment to area targets behind the frontlines.
Railyards, road junctions, assembly areas, logistics centres.
There may be exceptions for coastal emplacements, and I know of a few occasions when the US artillery's 155s got uncomfortably close* to the enemy and remained in action.

This is what I understand as well. Nelson or Rodney would not be pounding the beaches whilst Allied troops are coming ashore.

Ithoriel

IIRC, on the 7th June Rodney pounded "Hitlerjugend," who were pushing the Canadians back towards the beaches, with a bombardment that the German commander described as the most devastating ever fired in NWE, demoralising and disrupting them so severely that they temporarily suspended offensive operations.

So fire support is a possibility.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 January 2021, 12:16:53 PM

Serious army point mismatch.

paulr

Quote from: T13A on 22 January 2021, 08:58:41 AM
Hi

Cheers Paul

You are correct, but they were later hence my comment about Nelson withdrawing
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: paulr on 23 January 2021, 01:43:26 AM
You are correct, but they were later hence my comment about Nelson withdrawing

I didn't know that Nelson was Catholic  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson