Good news for a change.

Started by Techno II, 02 December 2020, 08:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well it is being supplied via Govt funding at cost. Looking at the news yesterday I fit into the 5th wave but not certain if I have a dangerous condition which would move me up to 3rd I think. I'll just wait and see.

Stay safe peeps.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Stay safe, yourself, Ian. :)

(I wonder how many receptionists in doctors' surgeries were bombarded with calls yesterday, from folk trying to book themselves in already !) ;)

Cheers - Phil

Quote from: Techno II on 03 December 2020, 07:37:38 AM
Stay safe, yourself, Ian. :)

(I wonder how many receptionists in doctors' surgeries were bombarded with calls yesterday, from folk trying to book themselves in already !) ;)

Cheers - Phil

Ta La, its unlikley - I never have  after all the right place for my car is third lane wit 'ammer down  ;)

Not going neat the doc's for a few days - reckon it will be heaving. Just waiting for the letter from WBC or Arrowe Park.

John Cook

Quote from: Steve J on 02 December 2020, 09:05:40 PM
IIRC the vaccine is only available via the NHS, according to a BBC news report from the past day or so.

Correct.  The government has ordered enough vaccine to offer a jab to every person in the UK.  Any orders from private UK buyers will go to the back of the queue.  There will be no queue jumping by those who can afford to buy a vaccination. 

Those of us who have health conditions will be getting a govt circular soon outlining what ypu can and can't do under the re;lavent tier. Mine arrived this morning along with another from Arrowe Park about my eyes. They are trying, very trying  :D

flamingpig0

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 December 2020, 07:06:26 AM
Well it is being supplied via Govt funding at cost. Looking at the news yesterday I fit into the 5th wave but not certain if I have a dangerous condition which would move me up to 3rd I think. I'll just wait and see.

Stay safe peeps.

You lucky bastard I am in the 6th wave
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

sean66

good news maybe  :o
but I read somewhere that you have no course of redress if you suffer side effects  :-
Also read Quantas has said that when a vaccine becomes readily available, you will have to prove you have been inoculated before being
allowed to board one of their flights  ???
how long before this becomes the norm, have to prove you had the jab to get into places (Cinema, Pubs, Clubs, Concerts)
Regards
Sean

I suspect that will become standard everywhere.

Ithoriel

Quote from: sean66 on 03 December 2020, 01:01:39 PM
but I read somewhere that you have no course of redress if you suffer side effects  :-

I am glad the vaccines are proving successful and keen to get vaccinated when my turn comes but also glad not to be first in line. After all, the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: sean66 on 03 December 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Also read Quantas has said that when a vaccine becomes readily available, you will have to prove you have been inoculated before being
allowed to board one of their flights  ???
how long before this becomes the norm, have to prove you had the jab to get into places (Cinema, Pubs, Clubs, Concerts)
Regards
Sean

At this point those under 50 don't even make the list unless high risk, so not sure how feasible that would be. And we don't know yet if it's a one time thing or seasonal like flu.

Steve J

The under 50's will be done from late Spring onwards, subject to the first tranche of people being vaccinated. So in our family our son will be done first, followed by myself, then maybe my wife in the first round if they include teachers, TA's etc, then our daughter bringing up the rear. Watch this space.

steve_holmes_11

steve_holmes_11

A word of caution:

The current ballpark estimate is 1 million injections per week.
I'm sure they will do their best to increase this number, but it is fairly big.

People need 2 injections (I don't know whether this is factored in, but I remember that 1 glove was counted as an item of PPE, so suspect we're still spinning for headlines).

If 2 injections in factored in it's about 15 months to get everybody in the UK.
If not then closer to 2 and a half years.

OK not bad, but we don't nkow how long this immunity lasts, so there's a scenario where thins becomes an annual thing like the Flu jab.
And that relegates us to "Painting the Forth Bridge*" territory.

* Better paints are available now, but the old story was that once they finished at one end, it was time to start again at the other.
    A neverending job, or a task of Syisyphus.

Ray Rivers

Personally I don't understand why everyone needs to be vaccinated. Seems a bit over wrought to me.

I totally discount the number of "infections" as this number is totally unreliable. Many, many millions have almost certainly already had the illness and the majority of them did not get a test. The numbers I rely on is hospitalizations and deaths.

The priority should be (and I understand it is) to protect the vulnerable. Once this objective is achieved and hospitalizations and deaths drop like a rock, then nature should take care of the rest.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 03 December 2020, 11:27:22 AM
Correct.  The government has ordered enough vaccine to offer a jab to every person in the UK.  Any orders from private UK buyers will go to the back of the queue.  There will be no queue jumping by those who can afford to buy a vaccination. 

I would love to believe this John. But what is stopping UK buyers buying it from abroad (eg BUPA, Private Clinics, Big Business), where there is no free medical system? The pharmaceutical companies are not particularly known for their ethical behavior.  Do we really think they will turn down a fast buck?

The cost of a single vaccine dose in  India is possibly going to be as low as £4.50 to a more likely £27.  Given as the suggestion that it is likely to take in excess of a year to vaccinate the whole of the UK  and the fact that corruption in India and similar countries is rife. I would be very surprised if you cannot get an injection at a private clinic in the UK in the next few months well in advance of when you would be called unless you are on the 1st list to be vaccinated..  
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson