weapons sprues

Started by Nouseforausername, 29 November 2020, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nouseforausername

This came up recently as an idea in another topic I posted under the requests page of the forum...

What about some weapons sprues to help create some quick and easy conversions? Maybe a set of 30 rifles, which could be stuck on the backs/in the hands of some figures from older periods of history to make some 'irregular' 20th century troops?

A sprue or two of light machine guns is MP18s and perhaps some medium machine guns like Lewis guns would be great to put into the hands/on the backs of some other figures to make suitable units for the Russian civil war, Chinese civil war and other 20th century conflicts that aren't already represented in the pendraken catalogue.

Cheers for now, and stay safe!

N

Leon

This is something I've always got on the backburner to sort out at some point, kinda like an Armoury of all the different weapons we produce.  Some of them might prove quite fiddly but it should be something we can do.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sultanbev

Some rifles, BAR, M1919A4 Browning LMG and Lewis guns would certainly be of use to me.

Mark

Sunray

The problem with10mm  small arms is that the designer & sculptor have to exaggerate the dimesions of the weapons slightly to make it look right.

Minifigs and Magister Militrum tend to overdo it a tad, as does Timecast where the smaill arms dwarf  the 120mm mortar.  Phil tends tp be spot on.

Right now I am figuring out a standing/advancing pose for the FN FLO that makes it distinct from the FN FAL without having to beef up the bipod until its a solid triangle of whitemetal.  If the bipod is folded, its hard to identify from FAL, without  over exaggeration to get the detail,  if deployed, we don't want to make it fiddley and fragile.  What worls with thin wire does not always translate into a feasable casting.

We had the same issue with the BAR in the Korean range.  The 41 Commandoes advancing with BAR will pass for being armed with a SLR. :)   Makes them great for late Mike Hoares's 5 Commando ! (He died this year aged 100).

I have mentioned sprues of aircraft ordinance -  small bombs, rockets ete.  The 1/144 market is rich for such items.

And we all love our aircraft to be well bombed up!

Small Arms weapon sprues will be looked at  - but right now the Boss's priorty is 1973 Arab Isreali and Cold War!!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Shapeways has some weapons available in bulk lots, 48 Lewis guns for example - https://www.shapeways.com/product/SL62FR8N4/1-144th-lewis-guns

Haven't had a deep look to see what else is available but some designer might be persuaded to come up with sprues.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Nouseforausername

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 30 November 2020, 09:34:28 PM
Hello

Shapeways has some weapons available in bulk lots, 48 Lewis guns for example - https://www.shapeways.com/product/SL62FR8N4/1-144th-lewis-guns

Haven't had a deep look to see what else is available but some designer might be persuaded to come up with sprues.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

I hadnt thought about shapeways, but that's a good suggestion. One sprue of those Lewes guns would be more than enough for what I need... Could you imagine a whole platoon with Lewes guns? They would be invincible! :)

steve_holmes_11

On a similar track:

Pikes and halberds (polearms) would provide some interesting options for the open-handed pike figures.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The Lewis guns do look good, but they are aircraft ones - no butt. Good for the SE5A and most Brit two seaters, but would require lots of work for a Tommy to handle.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Just to contradict my pervious point- I see in my colection I have quite a few "unarmed" figures - the Falklands Mortar crewman with Bins- to them I have attached a weapon cut from minifigs figure, so yes, a sprue might  work with certain weapons.

Way back in the mists of time, I emulated Charles Grant, and stuck a rifle to the back of an Airfix Russian to create command group.

But as stated, the current thrust of design/scupting is on the Bar Lev line.

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 December 2020, 01:13:49 PM
Egyptians or Isralies ?

Both! and Syrians designed to proxy as Egyptians not in the distinctive assault jerkin.  Perhaps a few Egyptians in caps tp proxy for Cubans? Any requests Ian before Techno sculpts the masters? :)

Have the LMG's standing. Also beware that 1963 Egytians carried SKS and Carl Gustave SMG's rather than all AK. AT weapon would be RPG-2 but as far as I can see it's almost identical to a 7 in 10mm.

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 December 2020, 11:05:20 AM
The Lewis guns do look good, but they are aircraft ones - no butt. Good for the SE5A and most Brit two seaters, but would require lots of work for a Tommy to handle.

Yes only half the Lewis guns have the full stock but you can always use the others on aircraft/vehicles  :D :D - Waste not want not......

Techno II

First time I saw those.....I wondered why Vic was showing a 'sprue' of rawl plugs.  =) X_X

Cheers - Phil :-[

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 December 2020, 03:59:49 PM
Have the LMG's standing. Also beware that 1963 Egytians carried SKS and Carl Gustave SMG's rather than all AK. AT weapon would be RPG-2 but as far as I can see it's almost identical to a 7 in 10mm.

Leon as ordered we  focus on 1973 Egyptians, so AK47s and locally made Port Said (Charlie G under licence).  RPG7, Swatter, and even a few RRs like B10 and B11- fancy a Vasilek mortar ?? Does CWC cover this weapon?