weapons sprues

Started by Nouseforausername, 29 November 2020, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Did the Egyptians have a Vasilisk ? RR will be needed. Get me back channel, if Leon Mark dont mind I may have sumat for you.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 02 December 2020, 02:20:32 PM
Did the Egyptians have a Vasilisk ?

Not to my knowledge Ian, it was only issued to Soviet units circa 1970 but as all these modern support weapons are being done with the kniowledge that modern Soviet/WP ranges coming on stream next year, I am already  looking at  such kit. I  have a mock up 10mm model ! :)

You had me worried there, didn't think they had one...

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 December 2020, 07:01:11 AM
You had me worried there, didn't think they had one...

Not on any list/G2 report I have read.  If it had been in issue, then most certainly the IDF would have captured a few.  I am not saying that Soviet "advisors" did not usd the war to test the weapon in combat conditions,(CIA think they did) but this is a different proposition from general issue to the Egyptian Army.

Unlike Korean, the 1970s is a quantum leap in weaponry from WW2. A lot of the Arab kit is identical to Soviet issue, so if its sculpted for Cold War, it will simply be recoded with a different crew for Yom Kippur.   I started with the Soviet master list as was ticking the duplicates.  I have just scratch built a Vasilisk, hence my throw away line as I know your weakness for "more modern stuff."  :)

The other hassle is the rules. In the early part of the Sinai counter attack, the IDF kept to the Tal doctrine and threw tanks forward without battle group support to take care of the AT weapons.  Likewise, Arab infartry tried to fight from their BMP1s as opposed to debussing.  This was Soviet doctrine at the time.  Rules need to reflect these tatical limitations, and gamers not allowed "hindsight".

A few chaicteristics aka BKCIV will take care of it. Course I'll ignore them  :d