Medieval Siege Tower & Trebuchet!

Started by Leon, 28 November 2020, 11:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've got a fun little pair of releases next with both a siege tower and a trebuchet now available in our Late Medieval range! 

The structures have been made from MDF and then Techno has added some handy crew figures to them for us.  Both standing at around 80mm high they'll make a great addition to any siege games.  The trebuchet will require a bit of modelling to make the sling and ropes, but we're sure that folks will have those to hand at home.  The tower could equally be pulled into position by horses, so we can supply those as well if folks want them. 

European Late Medieval - https://pendraken.co.uk/medieval/late-european/
ELM41   Siege tower with crew   £5.00
ELM42   Trebuchet with crew   £5.00

And the pics of course:

We hope you like them!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wow! Those are brilliant.
Can see at least two armies I can add them two.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

I've been wanting a trebuchet for my crusader camp.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 November 2020, 11:43:58 PM
Wow! Those are brilliant.
Can see at least two armies I can add them two.

Bloomin'  heck you got those crew cast up quickly, Leon !!

They ARE cracking models....I've got one of each on the desk at the mo', and I now understand the references to the nice smell of the MDF. ;D

Cheers - Phil :)

sean66

Ooh they will go nicely into my 10mm year LOTR Army.along with the new releases on the TB line.
Regards
Sean

Orcs

Now we need an MDF castle to assault, and a ram
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno II

I could put some horns on one of the sheep, if you want, Mark.  :D

Cheers - Phil ;)

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno II on 29 November 2020, 07:03:35 AM
I could put some horns on one of the sheep, if you want, Mark.  :D

Cheers - Phil ;)

Phil that deserves a good coat chewing....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Excellent additions and I'm sure will be popular 8).

Techno II

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 November 2020, 07:13:57 AM
Phil that deserves a good coat chewing....

Why would I want to chew a goat ?.....

Ah...OK. I've cleaned my glasses, now.  ;)

Now genuine questions.
How DID they move those siege towers ?.......Or....How many men did it actually take to shift them ? They must have weighed a huge amount.
Did they construct them as close as possible to 'the castle/fortress'....Just out of range from bowshot, so there was the minimum amount of effort to get them to the walls ?
I note that Leon has mentioned horses being used to pull them into position.......How did they protect the horses ?.....A 'turtle shell of shields'. :-\

Cheers - Interested of Wales. :)

fsn

Siege towers come in all sizes, over a long period of time.

Manpower definitely, pushing from behind and inside. I have seen somewhere illustration of horses inside the bottom - never seen them dragged into final position by horses.   I'll see if I can dig up a picture.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Both look look excellent!

Although the trebuchet looks . . . big.

What height's the platform on the tower?

fsn

Lisbon C12

Assyrian Dalek

"So large was one siege tower used by Macedonians in an attack on Rhodes that 3,400 men were required to move it up to the city walls." ( Encyclopaedia Brittanica)

"Siege towers were heavy and could easily tip over. It was difficult to move them into position from the safe distance where they had been built. The ground had to be level, and many teams of oxen were needed to move them. They also needed to be moved close to the walls, which normally meant that pushing, not pulling, force was required. One way to move a very heavy siege platform was to sink one or more posts into the ground by the castle walls and loop heavy pulleys and ropes around them. The platform was then attached to the ropes, and it could be moved forward by oxen walking away from the battle. The siege tower inched closer to the fortress walls, but the muscle power moving it only moved farther out of range. The tower could come right up to the pulleys, if the defenders had not disrupted them. Towers could also be moved with levers, but, in any case, they moved very slowly because of their great weight."  https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2020/05/17/the-medieval-siege/
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!