Monmouth Rebellion

Started by Malbork, 24 November 2020, 04:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malbork

Thanks to all for your input.

For King and Parliament seems to the leader by a neck. Think Santa might bring me a copy if he can navigate the tier system  ;)

Thanks for the links, Peter, they're very helpful.

paulr

I echo Pierre the Shy's positive comments on For King & Parliament (we are part of the same gaming group)

Here are a few FK&P battle reports you might find interesting

Cheriton 1 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18482.0.html

Cheriton 2 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18500.0.html

Cheriton 3 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18505.0.html

Advance on Leith http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18928.0.html

FK&P is also discussed and supported by the authors on the To the Strongest forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tothestrongest/
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 27 November 2020, 10:43:47 AM
I have played FOGR. Great if you like putting your head in a nutcracker. Yes, the armies look great set out at the staart of a game. After that it becomes "when will this tedium end?"

I bought the rules, and just the movement section was so full of minutia and precision (your pike block may fall back an extra 5mm if its tuesday)  I put them straight onto ebay 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Big Insect

Quote from: Orcs on 27 November 2020, 10:51:11 PM
I bought the rules, and just the movement section was so full of minutia and precision (your pike block may fall back an extra 5mm if its tuesday)  I put them straight onto ebay 

Each to their own  :D
I find that a lot of the 'simpler' sets are ok for a 'knock-about' solo game or with game mates of an evening - but if you are getting into 'serious' gaming on a large scale with players you don't play with often or in a competition, then the minutia are very necessary.
I tried a couple of the Osprey rules - Dux Bellorum being a case in question. A nice set of ideas and mechanisms, but then there is a section that says something along the lines of ... "these rules are not comprehensive and so you'll need to agree anything that is not covered amongst all players" ... sadly at our club that will just bring forward the post game recrimination phase!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

paulr

Sounds like you need a new club or at least some different opponents :(

Or perhaps I should be even more appreciative of both my immediate and wider gaming group :) :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

Oh the post game recrimination phase is a long-standing club tradition and one we are proud of.
It usually (in pre Covid times) involves beer and some poor soul getting volunteered to start writing amendments or to go away and seek clarification from the rules author or some other august wargaming guru or a forum. It is usually sign that there is an interest in continuing to play with that set of rules.
Some set of rules are played once & never see the light of day again (like Field of Glory Napoleonic - for example).

It is in no way taken personally - in fact it is such a ritual for large club multi-player games, that if it doesn't occur we all think something is very wrong  ;D
It's like that famous Monty Python sketch ... " I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument or the the full half hour?"
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

A friend of mine, now alas the wrong side of The Pond, plays MeG with a few friends .... they refer to it as Postmortem et Gloriam as they reckon they spend longer dissecting each game than actually playing it. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 28 November 2020, 10:40:16 PM
Or perhaps I should be even more appreciative of both my immediate and wider gaming group :) :D

Where would we be with out my and Roy's locally legendary crappy dice throwing reputation?  ;)

Ancient Rules wise NZ has always been very WRG orientated... I've played 6th,7th edition. DBM and DBMM over the years,.......no wonder I'm confused  ;D Having found (and really enjoyed )FK&P l would love to try To the Strongest...
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

mmcv

Quote from: pierre the shy on 29 November 2020, 08:46:45 PM
Where would we be with out my and Roy's locally legendary crappy dice throwing reputation?  ;)

Ancient Rules wise NZ has always been very WRG orientated... I've played 6th,7th edition. DBM and DBMM over the years,.......no wonder I'm confused  ;D Having found (and really enjoyed )FK&P l would love to try To the Strongest...

Definitely give TtS a go, it'll be quite familiar to you after your experience with FK&P and your DBx armies should translate across pretty well.