DVLA Email Scam

Started by John Cook, 24 November 2020, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

I just had an email purporting to come from the DVLA stating that there were "irregularities in your current profile, which indicates that the information given is no longer accurate or up to date".  It went on to invite me to follow a link and complete a form otherwise my "motoring licence" would be "terminated".

The email was from 361291pvhjca280837@telenet.be, which is a Belgian provider so it was an obvious scam from the outset.  Other clues included the salutation "Hi Cook", which is not the usual one used by UK government agencies, and we have driving licences in the UK not a "motoring licence", so it was not very convincing.   

I checked on-line and found that this is not a new scam, though it was to me, and the link, apparently, opens a form which asks for all kinds personal information including bank and debit/credit card details.  Somebody might fall for it so I pass it on for what it is worth.

Techno II

Good man, John. :)

Always worth a heads up.
Von had one purporting to come from DPD, this morning.....about holding onto a parcel for us ..That's ballcocks as well....Having Googled DPD scam......That one's after your details as well....

Apparently quite an old phishing 'mail, though that's the first time we've come across it.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ifb youn haven't [permanently removed it forward to I think City Of London police, they cordinate action aginst these arsehole
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 November 2020, 04:14:13 PM
Ifb youn haven't [permanently removed it forward to I think City Of London police, they cordinate action aginst these arsehole

The Suspicious Email Reporting Service (SERS), part of the UK's National Cyber Security Center deal with this kind of thing.  They can block the address of senders.  Their email is here:  report@phishing.gov.uk.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Thanks John. I'm afraid thant now virtually everything I receive purporting to be from an organisation has lost credibility - I don't click on anything and of course that hurts the legitimate side of things. If my bank e-mails me with anything alarming, I phone them, but of course need to check that the contact number is legit - sigh!

Techno II

The only 'suspicious' email I get from our bank, offers me a one pound reward if I download some app on my phone.

Firstly, I don't have a smartphone.....Secondly, I don't want to do intraweb banking......So they can bog off ! (Even if it really IS the bank.)

Apart from that the only 'people' that send me the odd email (apart from friends and work) are the AA and Norton....I don't seem to get any 'dodgy' mails on either of my addys.....Von gets LOADS.
(I blame faceache.) :D

Cheers - Phil  ;)