Dont Cry For Me Sergeant Major

Started by Heedless Horseman, 23 November 2020, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

An account of The Falklands 1982 from the troops point of view!  ;)

(Authors: R McGowan & J Hands. Futura Publications 1983).

A Wonderful book...long out of print! I first read this as a library book, (!) , way back when. Recently purchased a 2nd hand copy in good condition...alas, given it's age, by the time I finished it, the cover had fallen off and pages not far from disintegration! Wish it would be reprinted but, given some of the attitudes which were completely normal in the 80s... but, which might 'offend some sensibilities' in 2020, unlikely.  :(  (I know what comment the Paras and Marines would have made to that! LOL!).  :d

NOT a 'historical account' of the War, but a collection of 'then recent' memories and anecdotal comments from the troops...very well written by two newsmen 'embedded' within the Paras and Marines re-taking the Falkland Islands.

The emphasis is on the humour, (often 'black humour!), with which helped to make the Task Force a success. Reading this, you know why...although there WERE fears... 'the Job WOULD be done! The frustrations of both the troops and the journalists are also very apparent... as is the feeling that, overall, it could have been much worse and that G.B was 'lucky' to get away with it!

With hindsight, it is amazing how such a massive undertaking as 'The Task Force'...'cobbled' together in DAYS ...managed to achieve the win...despite all the setbacks and sad losses. But, that was the Armed Forces in the 1980s .   :)

For those who were around in the 80s... (I was a student)... and remember 'the feel good' factor back then, this is a wonderful 'nostalgia trip'!   :) :) :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

Sounded very interesting, so I looked it up on amazon

Paperback
from £20.21

6 Used from £20.21

1 New from £168.62

So perhaps not  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Elliesdad

There are cheaper copies on eBay.
And, of course, there is a copy that's more expensive too - £280.00. Jeez, that's not cheap by any means.

Geoff

Heedless Horseman

24 November 2020, 04:12:50 AM #3 Last Edit: 24 November 2020, 04:36:45 AM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: Orcs on 23 November 2020, 07:54:46 PM
Sounded very interesting, so I looked it up on amazon

Paperback
from £20.21

6 Used from £20.21

1 New from £168.62

So perhaps not  :)

Of course, the 'NEW' item MAY have been sealed in Climate Controlled, 'Smoke Free' atmo for 36 years, so well worth the price! LOL!!  ;D

Actually, there are...or were...companies who would 'reprint' many obscure OOP books.  FOR A PRICE! I had a book, (White Horses Across France, R H Tennyson), printed several years ago...because I REALLY wanted it...and the cost was not too bad, considering! Format/cover was not the original and photo reproduction not good...but tech may have moved on by now. I have no idea who may offer such services now...esp. as E books have pretty much killed market for paper  :(  , but they may well be around...so, if your 'MUST HAVE,' " Because 'I want's the precious!", desire, is there, look around. I wold be circumspect about books with illustrations, though.

Elliesdad: Agreed...I picked my copy from Ebay. Sadly, books that aged are probably "This tape book will self destruct in 25 seconds!", LOL!   ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There is a follow titled "Try not to laugh Sgt Major" I think. Got botrh somewhere round here.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sean66

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 23 November 2020, 06:23:59 PM
An account of The Falklands 1982 from the troops point of view!  ;)

(Authors: R McGowan & J Hands. Futura Publications 1983).

A Wonderful book...long out of print! I first read this as a library book, (!) , way back when. Recently purchased a 2nd hand copy in good condition...alas, given it's age, by the time I finished it, the cover had fallen off and pages not far from disintegration! Wish it would be reprinted but, given some of the attitudes which were completely normal in the 80s... but, which might 'offend some sensibilities' in 2020, unlikely.  :(  (I know what comment the Paras and Marines would have made to that! LOL!).  :d

NOT a 'historical account' of the War, but a collection of 'then recent' memories and anecdotal comments from the troops...very well written by two newsmen 'embedded' within the Paras and Marines re-taking the Falkland Islands.

The emphasis is on the humour, (often 'black humour!), with which helped to make the Task Force a success. Reading this, you know why...although there WERE fears... 'the Job WOULD be done! The frustrations of both the troops and the journalists are also very apparent... as is the feeling that, overall, it could have been much worse and that G.B was 'lucky' to get away with it!

With hindsight, it is amazing how such a massive undertaking as 'The Task Force'...'cobbled' together in DAYS ...managed to achieve the win...despite all the setbacks and sad losses. But, that was the Armed Forces in the 1980s .   :)

For those who were around in the 80s... (I was a student)... and remember 'the feel good' factor back then, this is a wonderful 'nostalgia trip'!   :) :) :)

it was the same in Gulf 1 and 2.
Gulf 1 the tanks and vehicles left in Germany were in no fit state to defend democracy.
a lot of the spare road wheels and track for the Challenger 1 were sent to the gulf. Engines taken out of the fleet and sent out to be 'spares'.
Gulf 2 had loads of body armour in theatre (remember the news stories) unfortunately they were in an ISO container mixed in with thousands of other ISO containers.
at one point the Army Medical Services had to hire a plane (I kid you not) and put two officers at the ramp with loaded pistols so they could fill it with Medical supplies to go to Iraq. the plane before with no guard was stuffed full of Ammo and Urgent vehicle parts.
Regards
Sean
Regards
Sean