Washes and Inks

Started by T13A, 20 November 2020, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

it's probably a really stupid  =) question but what is the difference exactly between using 'washes' and 'Inks' when painting Pendraken figures/AFV's?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

No expert on this, but as I understand it a wash is thinned down paint and ink is specially formulated to produce shading. I have tried a variety of things over the years but have finally settled on Magic Wash, which you have to make yourself. The formula is fairly simple - 50% Future floor polish, 50% water, then add a permanent black or brown ink until you are happy with the result. I tend to use a strong mix of Winsor and Newton black. I prime in white, then apply a thinned  coat of black primer. Block paint the main colours, including flesh and belting. Then apply the Magic Wash. When dry highlight to finish.

Andy
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Great stuff. I've never tried that. Hadn't heard of Future Floor Polish until now - would that be something like Pledge Floor Gloss in the UK?   :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

20 November 2020, 02:00:21 PM #3 Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 03:04:21 PM by Leon
Yes, it is Pledge multi-suface wax, clear. I also find it dries hard like varnish giving a first protective coat before you highlight and then varnish. Here are some 10mm FPW cuirassiers I did using this technique.

Leman

Blimey, not sure why that happened. It's never been that big before, as the bishop...........

FierceKitty

Lines spoken at work today: "Good afternoon, as the bishop said to the actress, assuming they can't have conversed entirely in lewd innuendoes."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.