Chu on this...

Started by mmcv, 16 November 2020, 10:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I remember a gaming buddy's doing a bit of a double take when I pointed out the rules were as capable of doing the Spring and Autumn Wars as the Hellenistic Successor ones.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Yes indeed. Qin Shi Huang and Alexander the Great were separated by only a few decades, that would have been a fun matchup. There's a phrase about classical military blunders and land wars in Asia that spring to mind.

fred.

I think much of this has to do with the primary markers.

ECW is by all global measures a tiny local war. But as so much wargaming is centred on the UK, and the early protagonists where keen on the ECW its a far more significant period than would be expected.

Whereas Chinese history is all a bit distant and vague, even to myself who is very knowledge on history compared to the vast majority of people. There needs to be something to tickle the interest, then having access to books and articles etc to build that knowledge. I'm sure this exists but much will be in Chinese - which is rather inaccessible for western gamers. It's all a bit chicken and egg, but without interest they won't be figures, but figures will drive interest etc.

I get that the above is a parochial view - but these are the most common views.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

I suspect you're right Fred.

The depth and breadth of Chinese history is maybe what deters people, along with the alien pronunciations of names and places.

To take Japan as a contrast, it's very popular, but focused almost entirely on Sengoku Jidai and the 20th Century. A small slice of history overall, so less daunting. Plus Japanese names are easier for English speakers to pronounce.

Saying that, there's many people you talk to who couldn't tell Chinese and Japanese history and culture apart, but historical wargamers tend to be more savvy on such things.

And of course poor Korea is often neglected pre 20th C, not sure of any small scale ones that do them.

I'm sure pop culture plays into it. Japan has a thriving cultural export on Samurai which drives interest, while Chinese warfare media is more niche, with Kung Fu adventures being more popular over large battles. There is some great Chinese big battle media out there though, John Wood Red Cliffs comes to mind and I've been enjoying the series Kings War on Netflix that I've drawn some inspiration from with these troops.

There's also a couple of excellent historical podcasts for China, History of China Podcast being one I'm working through currently. Plus a few overview histories from the Great Courses. There are some really fascinating characters and conflicts.

FierceKitty

Sorry, slow reply. Kallistra make Koreans who will do for the 16th century.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 November 2020, 01:44:03 AM
Sorry, slow reply. Kallistra make Koreans who will do for the 16th century.

Ah yes, good to know thanks.