Suabians in the Dark Age Norman Range

Started by mollinary, 16 November 2020, 06:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Well, this might be something of a niche question!  I just bought a pack of these to serve as Huscarls guarding my Saxon commanders. One figure is clearly wielding an axe, with his kite shield  on his back (which is why I bought them) but what is the other figure wielding? Any ideas gratefully received!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Matt J

I thought it should be a great axe but with the head missing!
I made new axe heads with green stuff. Stick a small ball on the end and pinch.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

I think it's a sword, but it's one of the older sculptors where they've used a bit of wire rod as the sword, rather than a flattened section of putty.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

Quote from: Leon on 17 November 2020, 09:04:21 PM
I think it's a sword, but it's one of the older sculptors where they've used a bit of wire rod as the sword, rather than a flattened section of putty.

Thanks Leon,   You may be right, but what puzzled me was the grip, where the hands are separated. It looks like it is supposed to be an axe, but the blade hasn't been properly formed. I can see no evidence of a hilt or crossguard which I would expect if it was intended to be a sword. Also, doesn't he have a sheathed sword on his left hip, of a similar size to that carried by the axeman? Still puzzled, I must admit!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Paint it brown and it's a club, paint it silver and it's a sword, paint it brown with a gunmetal top section and it's a maul, add a fragment of card or putty and it's an axe .... the Swabian .... Swiss Army Two Handed Weapon. There's probably a compass built into the butt and the handle unscrews to reveal a corkscrew! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 17 November 2020, 09:16:11 PM
Thanks Leon,   You may be right, but what puzzled me was the grip, where the hands are separated. It looks like it is supposed to be an axe, but the blade hasn't been properly formed. I can see no evidence of a hilt or crossguard which I would expect if it was intended to be a sword. Also, doesn't he have a sheathed sword on his left hip, of a similar size to that carried by the axeman? Still puzzled, I must admit!

I'm not sure then, I'll have to check the master mould sometime and see if there's any clues there.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sean66

Looking at the figure. My two penny worth would be an Axe or Club.
but he's in chainmail so I would say a two handed great axe would be appropriate.
Regards
Sean

Techno II

Quote from: Leon on 17 November 2020, 09:04:21 PM

Coo.... I don't make swords out of flattened putty at 'the true scale'. (I do, if I'm making a 25/30mm figure 'wot requires' a sword.)

For the wee chaps, I flatten a bit of brass rod with a pin hammer, then shape it with the carborundum disc on the Dremmel.......Nice and quick ! :)

Cheers - Phil.