Desert terrain questions

Started by Amra, 14 November 2020, 02:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All,
I'm new to the rules so a couple of newbie questions. I get there are no defined sizes for area terrain but I'm not sure how big a village should be in 10mm on a 6x4 board?  ie what  the size of the base I'll put my building models on
Also, am I right there's no rules for soft sand ? I thought I'd just treat it as partially wet ,so same rules as a marsh
Thanks

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Welcome your 1st post. Yes terrain rules are genearlised. Soft sand would be poor going.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Welcome on board :). The size of a village might be dictated by the size buildings you are using. I use 6mm for my 10mm miniatures, so get a better visual look. Each building has it's own base of roughly 2"-3" square. If I were using 10mm ones, the base size would be bigger. I also take into account the base size of my miniatures, which are 50mm x25mm for infantry.

As for soft sand, maybe the snow terrain might be a good equivalent?

Hope this helps?

fred.

For BKC, I tended to use bases around 4-6" on a side for area terrain - wether it was a village or a wood. The base defines the area, then you place models (houses or trees) on it which can be moved around to allow the the figures to fit.

For bigger terrain features, I would put a couple of bases together.

Desert villages would tend to be small.

For soft sand we tend to just treat it as bad going. But use what rules you feel appropriate as there would have been a variety of 'soft sand'
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno II

A very warm welcome to the madhouse, Amra. ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Amra

Thanks for the welcome everyone,
I like the sound of 4-6 " templates for,my villages. I'm using 6mm building s from Knights of Dice
BTW 3 of us from our club in Melbourne Australia are starting BKC4. We are each doing matched forces in different theatres. I'm doing the Western desert, with forces loosely based around Operation Crusader

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 November 2020, 06:34:45 AM
Welcome your 1st post. Yes terrain rules are genearlised. Soft sand would be poor going.

Taking away the one slight advantage my Arab armies have!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Kittty your Arab armies don't use tanks  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 November 2020, 02:17:53 PM
Taking away the one slight advantage my Arab armies have!

In your case the problem is not the sand its your opposing general.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 November 2020, 03:27:14 PM
Kittty your Arab armies don't use tanks  ;)

Even if they did the Assyrians would probably still thump them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.