How do you want yourTOWS?

Started by Sunray, 18 January 2022, 11:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys

That picture is ideal for the sculpt. Not sure what you would do for different uniformed figures.
On and the moubnt list at the top is missing the YP408. I didn't kow that the AMX VCI was fitted with a TOW launcher.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Certainly not in French service and i suspect the Dutch had replaced theirs by the time the TOW was introduced. It is on one of the WG Jaguars (not aircraft).
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

OldenBUA

Yes, both AMX and YP408 had TOW versions. Not many of the AMX though.

https://weaponsystems.net/system/77-AMX-PRAT
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Notb seen that one before. Proposed head and torso would work there.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Rhys on 07 February 2022, 09:10:25 AMThat picture is ideal for the sculpt. Not sure what you would do for different uniformed figures.
On and the mount list at the top is missing the YP408. I didn't know that the AMX VCI was fitted with a TOW launcher.

Dutch YPR-765 prat carried dismounts for their TOW as well as the mounted variants (which were armed with an Emerson TOW Under Armor "Hammerhead"-turret similar to the one of the M901 ITV).

I've used both in one of the big 6mm Cold War Commander games - the Defense of Hannover game. Having the dismounted TOW was helpful, in dense cover and a fixed defensive position (defending a steep riverbank against an amphibious East German river crossing).
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

pierre the shy

07 February 2022, 05:57:37 PM #20 Last Edit: 07 February 2022, 06:01:45 PM by pierre the shy
The Dutch had serious amounts of TOW armed YP-765 PRAT's in their mechanised brigades by the mid 80's - 3 platoons of 4 YP-765 PRAT's in each YP-765 equipped mechanised battalion's combat support company:   

https://www.orbat85.nl/reference/unit-organisation-and-equipment.html#painfbat-ypr 

As well as a separate brigade level Anti-Tank company with no less than 6 platoons of 4 YP-765 PRAT's:

https://www.orbat85.nl/reference/unit-organisation-and-equipment.html#paatcie

The YP-408 equipped units had slightly less numbers of TOW's, but these were being phased out in favour of the YP-765 by 1985:

https://www.orbat85.nl/reference/unit-organisation-and-equipment.html#painfbat-yp

I've used them to "rough up" a few Warpac regiments on the table over the years using MSH rules in 6mm ;)

Thanks for that Danish Landy/TOW picture too, clearest one of that system I have seen.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leon

We've had the M151 Jeep sculpted now so that'll be going down to Phil this week for the TOW to be built on the back.  We'll do it as a basic model as well with the roof section.

Beyond that we can look at adding other TOW options down the line.  We'll also go through the master moulds and find the recoilless rifles that we've had for about 4 years and finally get those sorted out...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Phil2

Mako

Good to hear about the Mutts.

I need those with LMGs (.30 cal), 60mm mortar, 106mm RR, and radio for my early, US Armored Cav units from the 1950s+.

Of course, the M38 Jeep, and/or Mutt, with a Davy Crockett nuclear weapon launched from a recoilless rifle.

A tripod ground mount with the 5 crew would be nice too, for those carried by M113 APCs.

In the 1950s and early 1960s, NATO was outmatched by the Soviets, so tactical nukes were believed to be the only way of stopping the Warsaw Pact hordes.

These little "pocket-nukes" were surprisingly underpowered, and were meant primarily to kill and incapacitate the the enemy's troops, but largely leave their armored vehicles unharmed.