15mm/10mm Ancient Chinese Buildings (for a village)?

Started by Big Insect, 08 November 2020, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Anybody know a manufacturer that produces 15mm (10mm would do) ancient Chinese buildings please?
I am after the kind of lower social structures so that I can create a small agricultural village for my Shang/Zhou Chinese army.
I play LaDG and need to have a village in my terrain list - and would rather like it to be vaguely authentic looking.

Amy suggestions welcomed.
Thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Not exactly sure what they would look like Mark, but maybe the Feudal Japanese range or Eastern Front range from Pendraken might be of use?

Ithoriel

Not a period I know all that muc about, but as far as I remember, Shang village/ farm houses seem to have been either circular with a conical thatched roof (think Butser Farm) or a thatched pyramid.

Zhou houses seem to have been rectangular structures with a timber frame filled with rammed earth walls and roofed with clay tiles. Similar-ish to Chinese/ Japanese houses of later date.

Hovels (http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk/ancient15mm.htm) Celtic farm might provide items close enough to do for Shang.

Zhou houses in 15mm I'm stumped for at the moment.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

If you do find something please share!

If in difficulty, Japanese peasant buildings are probably close enough to the casual glance as suggested previously.

This model of the city of Linzi, capital of Qi during the Zhou Dynasty is a good example of what it would look like, best I can tell:

Not a million miles from the village houses in https://pendraken.co.uk/scenic-items-terrain/feudal-japan/, despite the millennia between them.

For earlier Shang, roundhouses would work well. Irregular have a dark age roundhouse in their 10mm scenics range that's pretty versatile and generic looking.

FierceKitty

Check out what's available in the ranges made for the American war in Vietnam; some of the stuff Timecast makes is very happy to go a few hundred miles east or west, and still uses the materials available in antiquity.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 November 2020, 01:19:27 AM
Check out what's available in the ranges made for the American war in Vietnam; some of the stuff Timecast makes is very happy to go a few hundred miles east or west, and still uses the materials available in antiquity.

But watch out for corrugated iron (or be prepared to plaster over it).

Orcs

At the risk of getting accused of "Dolls Houses" Irregular  Miniatures do a Chinese town and Samaurai fort, which you may be able to use.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 09 November 2020, 07:11:43 PM
At the risk of getting accused of "Dolls Houses" Irregular  Miniatures do a Chinese town and Samaurai fort, which you may be able to use.

Aren't those 6mm scale?

Alongside 15mm figures that isn't a Wendy house it's a dolls house! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Many thanks all

I will review and come back once I have found something appropriate.
I have a very nice 15mm round-house village - so that might have to do the trick.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 November 2020, 07:29:33 PM
Aren't those 6mm scale?

Alongside 15mm figures that isn't a Wendy house it's a dolls house! :)

Been kicking myself for decades about passing up a chance to see Glenda Jackson in A Doll's House in London in the 80s. I was hard up without prospects, but I could have skipped a few meals....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.