broken rifles

Started by brisko32312, 05 November 2020, 02:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brisko32312

Hello all,

I just found some time going back to my FPW project. I have quite an issue with broken-off rifles (most of them on half/unpaited french i bought on ebay).
What do you guys do with them? Any chance for repairs?
If yes, whats best?
Thank you in advance.
Stay healthy, Brisko

jimduncanuk

If you have the broken bits then superglue them back on.

If not bin the figures and buy some more direct from the manufacturer.

10mm figures are not exactly expensive.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

I have endless problems with bayonets. I know that the Prussians operated with bayonets permanently fixed. However, they're my toys, so I snip the things off. Broken rifles ceases to be a problem.'BYW Old Glory 15mm are even more of a problem. All my 15mm FPW gone to new homes.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

If they've broken at a convenient point then you can glue them as Jim suggests.  If they've broken closer to the bayonet/barrel end then it's a lot more fiddly.  How many broken ones have you got?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mmcv

I find with broken off bits like that superglue can be a bit brittle to form a good seal and be prone to breaking again, so a little bit of resin works well to give a stronger hold. However, it does take a while to dry so you may need something to hold them all in place, and can risk being a little blobby if you're not careful. I have managed to save the odd sword or spear this way on an already painted figure.

If it's a particularly fiddly repair on an unbased figure, I would tend to convert the figure into a casualty instead.

Orcs

If they are unpainted I would not bother. They will never be as strong as new ones and I would be really peed off if I "fixed a figure" and it broke just after I painted it

fixing 10mm is very fiddly and as Jim says they are hardly expensive

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

brisko32312

Thank you all for your replies and the good advice.

I think, I will just try to fix it once - just for the sake of it and because they are mostly broken directly over the holding/supporting hand.
The advice to convert them into casualties is very appealing.

@Leon there are just two on my painting table right now. Since I just returned to the project after years of absence, I did not review the whole collection, and I remember there were a couple more in one of the bags. Never mind, I will have to buy more minis anyway ;-D

Leon

Quote from: brisko32312 on 05 November 2020, 10:33:21 PM
@Leon there are just two on my painting table right now. Since I just returned to the project after years of absence, I did not review the whole collection, and I remember there were a couple more in one of the bags. Never mind, I will have to buy more minis anyway ;-D

Chuck me an email and we'll get you some extra figures sent out, no worries.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

If the musket and bayonet are beyond repair, and you really want to save the figure, and you have no spare figures from which to 'harvest' a replacement, I remove what is left and replace it with a pin.  Snip off the head and with a small pair of pliers bend the point into a bayonet.  Use super glue to attach it.

Big Insect

I have used small (very small) strips of cling film to form a 'bandage' to hold the broken piece in place whilst it is being glued using superglue.
Once it is dry I use a small fine file to just file of the extra (blobby) bits of glue & clingfilm. It seems to work well on 15mm - as long as you don't have too many to do or it will drive you mad!

But I'd take up Leon's kind offer of a few replacements and convert the damaged ones to casualties  :)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.