Do you think Barbarians induces miniatures sales?

Started by Waremblem, 30 October 2020, 02:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waremblem

There is a major new series on Netflix - Barbarians (in German w/subtitles) which is a high production six-episode show about Varus, Arminius, and Germania. I wonder if shows like this provide a boost to miniature sales? I must confess while watching it I find myself thinking - hmm maybe I should throw some legions together. I can't be the only wargamer who gets the itch when seeing this, right?

FierceKitty

Haaven't watched it, but I confess that - trashy though it was - Vikings persuaded me that I needed a Norse army.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

It has made me dust down my large 28mm Germans and EIR and start to finish off and add a few units from the lead pile.
Despite the fact that like a lot of these so called 'historically based' series the actual depiction of both the Germanic tribes and the Romans is very suspect.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Waremblem

Quote from: Big Insect on 30 October 2020, 08:25:03 AM
It has made me dust down my large 28mm Germans and EIR and start to finish off and add a few units from the lead pile.
Despite the fact that like a lot of these so called 'historically based' series the actual depiction of both the Germanic tribes and the Romans is very suspect.

I quite liked Arminius throwing up before the battle. I feel you needed the full 6 episodes to see what a dilemma that would be for him when the moment finally came. I'm usually not a fan of the Gladiator style quick cut mass melee fight scenes (I prefer the panoramic Last of the Mohicans style) but Thusnelda was a war god. Looking forward to a second season.

Raider4

Just watched the 5th episode, where Ari/Arminius gives a rousing speech to his followers.

Unfortunately, anyone ever giving a rousing speech in German just reminds me of Adolf :(.

Other than that, enjoying it.

jimduncanuk

I don't watch films much, certainly not on Netflix.

If I do watch a film it will more than likely be a proper documentary.

I'm not short on inspiration for wargames, currently doing Ancient Arabs in 25mm, AWI in 6mm and 12mm, Napoleonics in 10mm, 7YW in 28mm and 6mm and Anglo-Sudan in 10mm.
My Ego forbids a signature.

hammurabi70

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 15 November 2020, 04:40:56 PM
I don't watch films much, certainly not on Netflix.

If I do watch a film it will more than likely be a proper documentary.

I'm not short on inspiration for wargames, currently doing Ancient Arabs in 25mm, AWI in 6mm and 12mm, Napoleonics in 10mm, 7YW in 28mm and 6mm and Anglo-Sudan in 10mm.

I am interested to know why you have such a wide range of scales.  I should have thought it easier for terrain and other concerns to to try and restrict the number of scales used.  Certainly my preference is to minimise the number of scales used.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 15 November 2020, 08:34:13 PM
I am interested to know why you have such a wide range of scales.  I should have thought it easier for terrain and other concerns to to try and restrict the number of scales used.  Certainly my preference is to minimise the number of scales used.

The Ancient Arabs in 25mm are a favour for an old friend. They have probably been collected in dribs and drabs (going by the painting style) and the bases are largely in a poor and decrepit condition. I hope to use them as opponents to my own 25mm ancient forces, probably in solo form for the time being. They can go back to their owner whenever required and will be much more sellable if that is what they come to. There are probably about 1000 figures in total, 8 library boxes worth.

The AWI in 6mm and 12mm are the products of an ongoing experiment. I've also done some in 28mm but have shelved them for the time being.

The Napoleonics in 10mm are another project currently stalled awaiting 2D Silhouette Scenery (watch this space) and I plan to use one of the 'Portable Wargame' series of rules.

The 7YW in 28mm is a painting test of my eyesight using the wonderful Crann Tara figures. I'm 70 years old so my eyes are not what they used to be but I now have new glasses so the test will continue. The 7YW in 6mm is a partner project with my AWI 6mm stuff.

The Anglo-Sudan collection is a long held ambition made possible in 10mm with recent range additions. The rules will be Sands of Sudan.

You would perhaps be bemused with what I have left out.

A final statement that I can make is that I am doing this because I can.

Ithoriel

15 November 2020, 10:09:08 PM #8 Last Edit: 15 November 2020, 10:11:03 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: hammurabi70 on 15 November 2020, 08:34:13 PM
I am interested to know why you have such a wide range of scales.  I should have thought it easier for terrain and other concerns to to try and restrict the number of scales used.  Certainly my preference is to minimise the number of scales used.

Imagine Jim has been gaming around as long as I have

Over the course of my 55 years wargaming I have accumulated models and/or terrain in 1/3000, 1/2400, 1/1200, 1/600, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm and 28mm. Who knows what scales I have long since disposed of, or simply forgotten in making the list just given, come to that.

I suspect Jim's full list would be equally broad.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 November 2020, 10:09:08 PM

I suspect Jim's full list would be equally broad.

The list I quoted is only the last years work.