Model train maker steams ahead in lockdown

Started by Raider4, 29 October 2020, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Hornby are doing well in the current climate: Link.

Anecdotally I'd concur. Model railways are my other occasional hobby, and looking at the big online discounters/retailers during the last six months it seems like things like track are in short supply, and new models of engines come into stock and are very quickly sold out.

Unsurprisingly people seem to be turning to things they can do at home.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DaveH

I'm a member of an Airfix modelling forum and that has lots of new members this year coming back to plastic modelling, and Airfix is part of the Hornby group of companies so not surprising the whole group is doing well now people have more need to do things indoors.

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 October 2020, 11:53:38 AM
Baccus keeps closing down for orders

I think Pete's had some trouble with staffing/equipment sadly, rather then being overwhelmed by order volumes.  I've just seen that Igor's had to retire from casting as well so hopefully he can get back on track and up to full speed again soon.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

Vanguard (https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/) have just announced that their website will have to disable "add to cart" from time to time to cope with volume of orders.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 29 October 2020, 03:15:29 PM
. . I've just seen that Igor's had to retire from casting as well . . .

Ha! Just seen this. A caster named Igor?

<best The Count impression>: "Igor! Bring me the molten lead. And then up on the roof to attract the lightning . . . "

petercooman

The biggest unknown is, when lockdowns end, will the orders return to normal levvel, or will there be a decline, when everybody gets out and about doing other stuff.

Techno II

What I'd like to know is...How many more folk have joined the forum during the pandemic ?

Cheers - Phil. :)

Techno II

Actually, I think I can look that up myself.  8-} 8-}

Cheers - Mr Dummy.  X_X

sean66

Quote from: Techno II on 13 January 2021, 08:19:41 AM
What I'd like to know is...How many more folk have joined the forum during the pandemic ?

Cheers - Phil. :)

Quote from: Techno II on 13 January 2021, 08:21:22 AM
Actually, I think I can look that up myself.  8-} 8-}

Cheers - Mr Dummy.  X_X

Maybe we should start calling Techno 'IGOR'  ;D
Regards
Sean

mmcv

Quote from: petercooman on 13 January 2021, 08:05:03 AM
The biggest unknown is, when lockdowns end, will the orders return to normal levvel, or will there be a decline, when everybody gets out and about doing other stuff.

Or continue at their current levels now many people have realised getting out and about doing other stuff is overrated when they could be settling in with their hobbies?  ;D

In seriousness though, I suspect many people have taken up or rediscovered such hobbies, and with the investment they've put in over lockdown, may continue the trend into "normality" (whatever that is).

Techno II

Quote from: sean66 on 13 January 2021, 12:35:26 PM
Maybe we should start calling Techno 'IGOR'  ;D
Regards
Sean

Yeth Mathter. ;)

Cheers - Phil.