Russian Civil Wars 1917 - 1922

Started by Nouseforausername, 27 October 2020, 09:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nouseforausername

27 October 2020, 09:50:00 PM Last Edit: 27 October 2020, 10:12:01 PM by Nouseforausername
Hello Folks! Another attempt at some musings here on what can be used for the Russian civil war.

Luckily, Pendraken already manufactre a great range of WW1 Russians and Polish as well as a smaller line of RCW figures too. These will cover most of what anyone would need to create a RCW army, however I am big on the characters to 'add flavour' and the more exquisite conflicts on the fringes of the Crumbling Romanov Empire that can be represented with figures already in the Pendraken ranges.

I won't repeat what can already be found in trhe WW1 Russian, Polish and RCW lines. Only keep in mind that many of these forces had been fighting for 3 years already, before being hastily thrwon together to create new forces from many factions. From photos of the time, we can see that the soldiers wore an extensive range of clothing, so mixing and matching from the different poses listed in the WW1 Russians will just add to the look.

After having a dig around the catalogue and browsing websites here are some other things I could find that may help:

Red Army
Pendraken Code:           Use As:
SVX1                                 Senior Command         (may be a good idea to mix in with some other senior command figures from ww1 range to keep more 'with the age')
SVF 26                              Commisar with megaphone (a good Company commander type figure - does anyone have a photo?)
GEA4                                Sailors
SVF12                               Sailors (Does anyone have a photo?)

White Army
IP1 / IP11                          Assault Troops (Adrian Helmet)
GP38, GP6, GP2                  Assault Troops (German Helmet) Bermont-Avalov's Detachment, West Russian Army

Cadets (used by both sides)
SVF 19, SCW 22                Cadet Infantry
SVF 21, SCW 26                Cadet Standard Bearer
SCW 23                            Cadet 'bomber'

Partizans (Used by both sides)

Some of these figures may be stretching it a bit, but have a look at the photos in the online catalogue

BRF 49                             Lewes Guner (could also be painted up as Cadet Lewes Gunner)
BRF 47                             Rifle, Kneeling
BRF 46                             Rifle, Standing
SCW 66                           Partizan officer

This is a working Document, so please add your own suggestions below, and I will update this list at the top! Also, please let me know if there is something that ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be here and I can take it out too.

Cheers,

N

Peterem

The Russo-Japanese war range is useful, as the peakless furashkas of RJ1 Russian foot were common among the "Coloured" Officer regiments of the AFSR. The RJ2 Russian Artillery seems to have the same Putilov 76mm gun, and comes with limbers where the WW1 Russian one doesn't.

The Russo-Turkish war range may also have potential, but I've seen no pictures. Especially one of the RT6 Cossack would be helpful.

Peter

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

For sailors you could also use the FPW12 French sailors that could be used with a quick surgery of the cap cherry (officer is also handy generally):-

From memory some of the WW2 Soviet naval have helmets but I could be wrong.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Nouseforausername

Yes, those sailors look like they could be useful. Unfortunately, I can't seem to edit my original post to add them to the list and mark the ww2 sailors as pending, once we've seen a photo.

I was also going to add the RTW Cossacks to the list. I have a set and they're pretty good. Just some cossack-y guys riding with Lance's.

Leman

Pretty useful list that I can use to augment my RCW forces for use with Peter Pig's Square Bashing.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

TinyTinTroops

RA3 & RA8 do as Caucassians and as some of the Cossack foot or peasant levy of the various partisan groups. Clothing is a bit iffy but the lambswool hats were common headgear amongst the rural classes.

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

To be honest a code is not that helpful unless the range is also given. Thought it might have referred to Renaissance Polish, but their code is P.

fsn

On the new website, you can do a search for the code and from that see the range.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

TinyTinTroops

2nd Anglo-Afghan war.

I'd have been more detailed but someone came to the door in the middle of typing the note.

I've tended to bung anything that was left over into my partisans (which I have yet to finish painting - reminder to self) but, what few pics there are of them seem to show most either in fairly standard Red or White kit (i.e. deserters) or in peasant garb.

Surprisingly few show any of the troops in helmets, most that I have seen were in urban fighting or on trains.

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Cheers FSN, but seriously - here's a code; now if you are in the know you can find out which range that code is in somewhere on the website. That is clearly preferable to try figures xx and yy in the z range.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 18 July 2021, 10:23:24 AM
Cheers FSN, but seriously - here's a code; now if you are in the know you can find out which range that code is in somewhere on the website. That is clearly preferable to try figures xx and yy in the z range.

Nice to get the extra info, to be sure, but hardly vital.

It's like mentioning a website. Nice if a url link is included but if not a quick search with DuckDuckGo will find it for me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Too much like swanning around, and incidentally never heard of it until now. Funny how people assume everyone knows what they know.

Nouseforausername

Two of the Partizan figures from the French WW2 line fre16 could also be of use for, well, partizans. Unfortunately, the 3rd chap appears to be holding a more modern machine gun. It all depends on how particular you are with your figures ...