Balkan wars 1911-12

Started by Nouseforausername, 15 June 2023, 02:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nouseforausername

I'm gonna say it... Looking at the new Russo-japanese war range... I think we have quite a few contenders for some Balkan wars armies here.

Straight off the bat early Russo-japanese russians in tunic are perfect for Bulgarians

paulr

Interesting :-\

Any thoughts on proxies for Turks & Italians in Libya in 1911?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: paulr on 16 June 2023, 05:47:33 AMInteresting :-\

Any thoughts on proxies for Turks & Italians in Libya in 1911?

There are Egyptians wearing a fez in the Colonial ranges, and loads of types wearing pith helmets in the Colonial and WW1 ranges.  Those are the two places I'd look but I think you'll be into conversions for a lot of stuff.

streetgang

Balkans War is something that has always tickled my interest. I've gamed the naval battles in 1/3000 but there are some really interesting land campaigns. ER Hootan has a good book on the war and Bloody Big Battles has a great scenario book. How close are the Sudan Egyptians to the Turk uniform with Fez?

Quote from: Nouseforausername on 15 June 2023, 02:59:53 PMI'm gonna say it... Looking at the new Russo-japanese war range... I think we have quite a few contenders for some Balkan wars armies here.

Straight off the bat early Russo-japanese russians in tunic are perfect for Bulgarians
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!

paulr

QuoteBalkans War is something that has always tickled my interest. I've gamed the naval battles in 1/3000 ...
So there are at least two of us who have game these interesting naval battles :o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

streetgang

Quote from: paulr on 20 September 2023, 08:12:32 AMSo there are at least two of us who have game these interesting naval battles :o

Haha, yes sir. I remember reading about the cruiser George Averoff in an old issue of Military History magazine which initially sparked my interest in gaming the naval aspects of the conflict. At some point I painted up 1/3000 scale fleets for the Battle of Lemnos and used a quick play pre-dreadnought ruleset that included some Balkans War scenarios.

Have probably refought that battle on the tabletop a handful of times and the Greeks usually come out on top but they are always close run affairs.
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!