Spanish Civil War

Started by DaveH, 26 October 2020, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Quote from: Leon on 29 October 2020, 02:20:56 PM
I think we've down a bit of a rabbit hole with what's a proxy and what's just hiding in another range!  Let's see how the much use this board gets and how many lists we see, and then we can decide if it needs a finetune.

Here are some SCW items 'hiding in another range'.  The question is, do you need to point this out to people?  Frankly, I doubt it.

British WW1

BP9  4.5" Howitzer   Used by the Republic.  Originally supplied to Tsarist Russia during WW1, sold to the Republic by the Soviets.

BP11  60pdr HG   Used by the Republic.  Originally supplied to Tsarist Russia during WW1, sold to the Republic by the Soviets.

French WW1

F18  Char Schneider   A few former pre-war Spanish army Schneider tanks were used by the Republic during the early fighting. 

F7/7a  155mm Howitzer   Not quite sure what this represents.  The 155C M1917 Schneider was standard in the pre-war Spanish army.  Used by the Republic and the Nationalists.  The 152mm howitzer M1910 was essentially the same weapon produced under licence by Imperial Russia and was supplied by the Soviets to the Republic.

F39  FT-17 round turret, MG    The FT-17 was the standard tank in the pre-war Spanish army.  They seem to have been MG armed and typically the round turret versions.  There were 15 available in 1936; the Republic had 9 of them.

F38  FT-17 round turret, 37mm   A number of additional FT-17s with 37mm guns in round turrets were acquired by the Republic from Poland.

German WW1

GP5/5a  77mm FG   Examples of the German 7.7cm FK96 were supplied to the Republic by the Soviets.  They had been captured by the Russians during WW1.

GP7/7a  105mm Howitzer   Examples of the short-barrelled German 10.5cm FH 89/09 were supplied to the Republic by the Soviets.  They had been captured by the Russians during WW1.

GP16  75mm minenwerfer   These were supplied to the Republic by the Soviets.  They had been captured by the Russians during WW1.

Russia WW1

RP4  76.2mm FG   The Soviets supplied numbers of Putilov 76.2mm M1902 to the Republic.

German WW2

GRA4  37mm AT gun.   The 3.7cm Pak36 was supplied to the Nationalists by Nazi Germany.

GRA23  8.8cm FLAK 36   Supplied to the Nationalists by Nazi Germany it was operated mainly by elements of the Condor Legion.

GRV1  Panzer I Ausf A   The most numerous Nationalist tank, supplied largely in Ausf A form by Nazi Germany.

GRV2  Panzer I Ausf A command   Some Pz Is Ausf A command vehicles were supplied to the Nationalists by Nazi Germany.

GRV3  Panzer I Ausf B   The Nazis provided lesser numbers of the Ausf B to the Nationalists.   

French WW2

FRE54  75mm field gun spoked wheels   In addition to standard 75mm mle 1897 field guns acquired from a variety of sources, the Soviets supplied numbers of Mle 1897 field guns to the Republic in 76.2mm.

FRE57  Canon de 105 mle 13    The Republic acquired some of these French guns and were supplied with numbers of the Russian licence built version in 107mm by the Soviets.

Poland WW2

POL17  wz.36 37mm AT gun   This is the Swedish Bofors M38.  The Republic acquired at least 20 examples.

POL29  wz 1913 Schneider 105mm   This is the same as FRE57 above.

Soviet WW2

SVA1  45mm AT gun   Up to approximately 200 examples of the 45mm M1932 anti tank gun was supplied by the Soviets to the Republic.

SVA8  76.2 FG spoke wheels   Not quite sure what this item is.  The Soviets supplied significant numbers of the 76.2mm Divisional Gun M1902 and M1902/30 to the Republic.

SVV28  ZIS-5 truck   One of the many types of truck supplied by the Soviets to the Republic.

SVV30  ZIS-6 truck   See above.

SVV32  BA-6 armoured car   The Soviets supplied at least 20 of these armoured car to the Republic.  Captured ones were used by the Nationalists.

Leon

Quote from: John Cook on 29 October 2020, 04:29:49 PM
The question is, do you need to point this out to people?  Frankly, I doubt it.

Possibly not but it doesn't hurt to give folks some pointers where we can.  As someone said earlier we're a bit limited in the website as I can't add a product to more than one category, otherwise I'd have all of these things replicated where they could be used.

Thanks for the list as well, that's a great help.  
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mmcv

Quote from: John Cook on 29 October 2020, 04:29:49 PM
Here are some SCW items 'hiding in another range'.  The question is, do you need to point this out to people?  Frankly, I doubt it.

I think it's definitely worthwhile, especially since the 20th Century range is so large, it can be hard to know what was used where and when, especially if you're new to the period, so thanks for the list!

The SCW was such a mixed bag of troops and vehicles as well, so its especially pertinent. Plus the search on the Pendraken site isn't always the greatest for particular items. E.g. search something like "BA-6" and you'll have to sift through hundreds of items to find it. If you know to search "BA-6 armoured car" you can get it immediately, but you have to know to do that which a prospective buyer may not without knowing what it was. And if you couldn't find the right search terms, you'd have to manually click through a lot of different sections from WW1, Interwar and WW2, which I'm guessing are among the largest collections available.

John Cook

No problem, I try to be constructive from time to time :D

It is a shame about the limitations of the website because adding products to several different categories, it seems to me, is the solution for this particular issue.  I see you have a T-26 tank with different nomenclature and numbers under both the SCW and Soviet pages.  Would not a renumbering from the 'parent' page do the trick? 

Anyway, my list is probably not exhaustive because the description of some items is not entirely clear.  For example what is SVA12 exactly?  There were two Soviet 122mm and one 152mm weapons with spoked wheels and without a picture it's a bit of a mystery.   One of these might well be a type supplied by the Soviets to the Republic, I just don't know.

Trucks are also an omission for which no proxies exist. 

Leon

It's a bit frustrating and something I'd like the webguy to fix for me.  The previous site was able to do it but this newer one doesn't as yet.  I can add them manually to other categories as a separate entry but that causes a bit of a clash in the database having two identical products in there.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nigel drury

I note the T-26 in the SCW list (SCV4) appears to be a T26 model 1939, (SVV1 from the WW2 list).

For the SCW, the 1933 model would be more correct, i.e. SVV38 from the WW2 list.  For the 1938 models that were sent to Spain an AA MG could be added.