Nationalists
Panzer I - GRV1

Republicans
FT17 - F38 (37mm) and F39 (MG)

Both
Civilians - FRE15
Citroen Truck - FRE17

John Cook

Before you do a lot of unnecessary work, these are not really substitutes.  They aren't proxies for something else.

fred.

No, but they are equipment used in the conflict that aren't in the main lists - so are useful to know they exist elsewhere in the Pendraken catalogue
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

You seem to be saying that if somebody wants a Pz MkI for a SCW project, they need to be told that it exists under WW2 German.  Really? 

paulr

I think he's saying its helpful to tell someone which code it is ;)

Other entries will be less obvious such as the civilians...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 27 October 2020, 05:41:30 PM
You seem to be saying that if somebody wants a Pz MkI for a SCW project, they need to be told that it exists under WW2 German.  Really? 

I can think of two among my own gaming group .... well what was my gaming group until Covid came along :(

One of them had reached his early forties without being aware that the Russians had been an Allied power not an Axis one during WW2.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Though I do like to imagine that at least some of it is down to being ill-informed rather than actually stupid.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

It might well be useful to point to items that were used in the SCW (or whatever) and are found listed elsewhere, but they really aren't proxies.  To call them proxies (substitutes) might only confuse the "ill-informed".  It seems to me, that if this idea is to be pursued, there need to be two 'lists'.  Proxies, for example using the 1809 Saxon infantry to substitute for 1806 Prussian infantry and items that are not substitutes for anything but are listed elsewhere.  Laudable though this idea is, I see it as a jar of the proverbial potentially.     

DaveH

Quote from: paulr on 27 October 2020, 06:34:12 PM
I think he's saying its helpful to tell someone which code it is ;)

Other entries will be less obvious such as the civilians...

Correct and not all the possible choices will be obvious in where to find them, e.g. FT17 could be under WWI or WWII French. Civilians and types suitable for militia can come in other places. I think we maybe need a wider range of things than proxies as it will include models from other ranges and where to find them for a period.

John Cook

Quote from: DaveH on 28 October 2020, 10:26:08 AM
Correct and not all the possible choices will be obvious in where to find them, e.g. FT17 could be under WWI or WWII French. Civilians and types suitable for militia can come in other places. I think we maybe need a wider range of things than proxies as it will include models from other ranges and where to find them for a period.

I think so.  I was wondering if it would not be better to have a 'note' at the top of the SCW page, directing people to other pages for kit that was used in Spain.  Mind you, the SCW is, perrhaps, unique in that almost anything from WW1 and early WW2 turned up there.  The Soviets used the opportunity to dump a lot of captured German WW1 stuff on the Republic.  I've been gaming the SCW for years so I'll start a list and we can compare notes.

fred.

This kind of thing crops up in a few lists, I think it often comes down to when a particular model was made by Pendraken, as some of the lists of models are much newer. There is the problem that the sales website only (easily) lets you have a given product in one section.

Therefore there are a few places were being able to cross reference other codes is useful. There is perhaps the distinction to be made between cross referencing and actual proxies?

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

We maybe need a section for true proxies like the Chinese Warlords ones going on, then a section for compatible figure ranged for particular eras like SCW? Would be useful for AVBCW stuff too. And even with the likes of some medieval eras, there's figures from ancient to renaissance that would fit, they're a little blurred between proxy and compatible, as there's not much difference between an Arab light cavalry man in Xerxes army as in Saladin's despite the 1700 years or so difference.

Maybe we need a "pick 'n' mix" for a list of potential compatible ranges to at least have a starting point for people to look at if they don't find what they need in the "named" range?

DaveH

Quote from: mmcv on 29 October 2020, 09:15:17 AM
We maybe need a section for true proxies like the Chinese Warlords ones going on, then a section for compatible figure ranged for particular eras like SCW? Would be useful for AVBCW stuff too. And even with the likes of some medieval eras, there's figures from ancient to renaissance that would fit, they're a little blurred between proxy and compatible, as there's not much difference between an Arab light cavalry man in Xerxes army as in Saladin's despite the 1700 years or so difference.

Maybe we need a "pick 'n' mix" for a list of potential compatible ranges to at least have a starting point for people to look at if they don't find what they need in the "named" range?

To avoid proliferating sections maybe we need proxy and compatible figures/models as the section title.

fred.

Quote from: DaveH on 29 October 2020, 10:07:47 AM
To avoid proliferating sections maybe we need proxy and compatible figures/models as the section title.

I think so. It's much easier for people to have one place to look. It's hardly likely any of these lists are going to be that long they need breaking out into different sections.

Leon

I think we've down a bit of a rabbit hole with what's a proxy and what's just hiding in another range!  Let's see how the much use this board gets and how many lists we see, and then we can decide if it needs a finetune.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!