Alternate Basing Materials

Started by MSawyer, 26 October 2020, 12:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSawyer

Hi all. I was just wondering if any of you used anything other than MDF board to base your figures on? I ask because I want to see if there are any good alternate materials to use for DIY purposes that can be found in the house. I was thinking a thicker kind of cardboard?
Keep your stick on the ice.

Ithoriel

I used "grey board" for a long time as I had access to as much as I wanted from work.

It's used for packing and forms the core of many clip boards and ring binders (so if I'm binning old ones I slice them open and strip out the grey board).

It's useful for model making too.

These days I use laser cut mdf from Pendraken or Warbases.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Cardboard can warp unless you are careful with it and it takes time to cut accurately but does work, particularly the better quality cardboard

I've used 2mm sheet styrene for a lot of bases, doesn't warp but requires cutting and sanding. It can be purchased economically in large sheets from sign writer suppliers

I now use laser cut MDF from Pendraken
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Postcard and epoxy resin. With larger bases I include a bit of wire to stiffen it a bit. No brown strips around the edges (the naffest thing since Airfix Romans).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Orcs

I got fed up with cutting cardboard bases.  :-

1 They take an age to cut
2 No matter how careful you are, you always end with some that are not the right size
3 If the card is not of good enough quality it will warp.

The main issue was the time taken.  I had access to all the free  good quality card from a friend who was picture framer. It just took to long.

The cost of the MDF bases is miniscule . I based 25 regiments of WSS foot (approx 600 figures) took 100 bases costing £5.  Personally i think is a no brainer.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

1.6mm ABS sheet was easily available when I used to work. It did take time to mark and cut out though and you had to remember to check for the warping that was normal. Now 2mm mdf works perfectly when and is exceptionally good value from Pendraken.

Glorfindel

I have previously used card and plastic (Warmaster style) bases but must admit that, since
discovering the joys of mdf bases, I have not used any alternative basing method.   I just
haven't seen anything else that offers the same advantages (cheap as chips, available in a
huge variety of shapes, accurately cut and with a consistent edge colour that looks good
if you leave it untouched).

Phil   

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Art board and Grey board both. As well as MDF. For single 20's coins of the relm normally 1p peices.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Double-thickness cereal (Kelloggs) packet card for 40x20 bases. Spray mount a template onto this (example attached) to enable accurate cutting.

For 10mm skirmish I've come around to using penny washers. 12mm for individual soldiers, 16 or 20 for larger beings/monsters and weapons teams/command stands.

DaveH

I've used artboard and cardboard for miniatures with spreading UHU adhesive over before adding any paint or basing material as it prevents warping from liquid entering.

For individually based 15/20/28mm I use UK 1 and 2 pence coins.

I've also used the plasticard bases sold by Peter Pig for their rules in the 30mm square, 30 x 40mm and 40mm square sizes.

jimduncanuk

I've not found anything better than MDF although I have tried over the last 40 years or more.

I am just about to rebase about 1000 25mm figures which are already based with a variety of cardboard, fibreboard, wood and cereal packet card.

It's a no-brainer.
My Ego forbids a signature.

sean66

Used cardboard and 1p and 2p coins Falkland island issued so didn't feel too guilty.
use plastic and MDF.
cardboard warps, and takes ages to cut (always never accurate)
coins are good but sometimes the sand doesn't stick ( I usually give it a base coat of paint before the sand)
MDF if left in damp cold place (outside shed) sometimes starts to leach. (I had a lot in my shed when I lived abroad, now all in my flat so will not have that issue anymore)
Plastic best of both worlds but a little bit more expensive.
all 6mm,10mm and 15mm are on mix of MDF and plastic bases and 20mm on coins
regards
Sean

Westmarcher

My older bases are made from mounting board (used for picture framing and available from art & picture framing accessory stores). It's about 1/16th inch thick (about 1.6mm) and, from memory, is sold in sheets of approx 1.2 x 0.8 metres for around a fiver. I have not had any warping issues. However, this is probably down to a number of factors; bases rarely exceed 30mm square, the based miniatures are stored in a dry place, I always texture the top of the base with Milliput before adding sand & static grass and I attach a magnetic strip to the underside.

Nowadays I use 2mm thick laser cut mdf from Pendraken and Warbases. Much quicker and easier with more consistent dimensions plus there is the added choice of various rounded bases which I now mostly use for command and skirmish bases.  Although mdf is now 'king,' I still use the mounting board now and again for 'one-off' bases (like my 15mm Dahlgren Gun) or scenic items (like my home made river sections).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Smoking gun

You can get laser cut plywood bases. Old plastic gift, ID, swipe and phone cards. In the past beer mats have been used and have the advantage of being "free" from your local hostelry.

Free in quotation marks as you are obliged to make a purchase when on the premises.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.