Asia

Started by Nouseforausername, 22 October 2020, 09:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nouseforausername

Opening a can of worms here... I know.

I've had a trawl through the posts here and couldn't find what I'm requesting already, so forgive me if it has been asked for and I missed it.

The 'little wars' in Asia. What am I talking about? Well, it's a mix of the fall out and overspill from the Russian Revolution, and its effect on places like turkmenistan, and the many wars in China from before the first war up to ww2.

There are a LOT of miniatures that can already be put to use, listed here on pendraken, such as all the figures from the ww1 line, but also the Russo Japanese and Russo Turkish war. However, there are some figures/nationalities that need miniatures if their own, such as the chinese. At the moment it's a bit of a wishy-washy request, but if other people were interested, we could 'concentrate the hive mind' and see what we could request for real.

what do you guys think?

N

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

These would be interesting - but I suspect a bit not commercial
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Nouseforausername

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 October 2020, 09:23:53 AM
These would be interesting - but I suspect a bit not commercial

Yes, it's true, and it's what I am worried about too. However, there are quite a lot of 'proxy' miniatures already available. With a bit of clever list building, a large portion of an army could be made from what is already sold, it's just a case of 'filling the gaps'.

steve_holmes_11

Copplestone has a "Back of Beyond" range (28mm) covering some of this sort of thing.

John Cook

I would have thought that a Boxer Rebellion range might be commercially viable.  I know very little about it but would it not tick most of the boxes for this one?  You have the Boxers and Chinese Imperial troops on one side and and the so-called Eight-Nation Alliance on the other.  Many of the latter could be sourced from existing ranges. 

fred.

This is quite a popular period for gamers (well popular amongst the more obscure conflicts) and it does feel a number of participants could be covered from existing ranges. I think Boxers would be a good range to add.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Nouseforausername

22 October 2020, 06:37:59 PM #6 Last Edit: 22 October 2020, 07:02:20 PM by Nouseforausername
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 October 2020, 02:02:03 PM
Copplestone has a "Back of Beyond" range (28mm) covering some of this sort of thing.

Yes! This is the vibe I'm going for. I see that there are a few people calling for the boxer rebellion, which I think would be a good line to add, and I agree that there would be scope for cross-use of some of the figures, but they didn't have Lewis guns back then ;)

But, The 'back of beyond' range also covers what would be loosely classed as 'asiatic russia' and the borderlands, Uzbekistan, turkmenistan, Afghanistan etc. There are many figures that could be used, it's just a case of adding some miniatures to 'add that 1920s' flavour. Radio ops, SMG squads, Hmgs etc.

Boxer rebellion would be cool though

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

There are lots of figures that could be used, including Afghans from the NWF range. The Chinese can be proxied from WW1 British and RJW Japanese, and/or maybe some SCW. Don't forget the small RCW range too.The main need I see at the moment is for Mongol cavalary to have carbines/rifles added for Interwar Central Asiatics. Or a spray of 5 generic rifles for people to stick on the back of suitable figures. I can just imagine the thundering hooves of the Central Asian Camel Corps.... ;D ;D

It's always interesting to plan campaigns around the exploits of Roman von Ungern-Sternberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Nouseforausername

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 22 October 2020, 10:56:43 PM
Hello

There are lots of figures that could be used, including Afghans from the NWF range. The Chinese can be proxied from WW1 British and RJW Japanese, and/or maybe some SCW. Don't forget the small RCW range too.The main need I see at the moment is for Mongol cavalary to have carbines/rifles added for Interwar Central Asiatics. Or a spray of 5 generic rifles for people to stick on the back of suitable figures. I can just imagine the thundering hooves of the Central Asian Camel Corps.... ;D ;D

It's always interesting to plan campaigns around the exploits of Roman von Ungern-Sternberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Hi grumpyoldman

Perhaps a few conversion kits may be the answer (although converting 10mm is fiddly, especially if you're going for a big army!)

Another way around this would be to perhaps create a section on the forum for 'proxy lists' (how to build an army with what we have)?

I just finished reading that Wikipedia article. What a trip. The guy definitely had a sadistic streak, but that was one hell of a career. It definitely captures the 'essence' of the whole theatre of the war.

Cheers

N

steve_holmes_11

This looks like a similar task to one I posted here some while back - seeking suitable figures for Irregular Wars.

If I might share my experience.
* You may find suitable troops in unlikely selections / groups.
* 10mm is a relatively small scale, so "paint conversions" can add great flexibility to your figures.
* Headgear is one of the most distinctive parts of a figure, bareheaded figures are very flexible.
* By contrast, a bit of paint can disguise the differences between a flintlock musket and a bolt-action rifle.
* Absence of guns need not be a problem for "hard riding" cavalry figures, it's more of a problem if they're brandishing bows.

Be prepared to spend considerable time looking for the right figures.
Any you cannot find, be prepared to go for a "best match".

DaveH

I think that the proxy lists section on the forum would be really useful as there are a lot of areas that could be done with that.

steve_holmes_11

Some info on the YouTubes

Shedman

Quote from: DaveH on 23 October 2020, 12:19:00 PM
I think that the proxy lists section on the forum would be really useful as there are a lot of areas that could be done with that.

I can't find that - where is it please?

Nouseforausername

Quote from: Shedman on 23 October 2020, 07:36:27 PM
I can't find that - where is it please?

It doesn't exist yet, it would be a case of us approaching the forum mods to set it up

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Nouseforausername on 23 October 2020, 11:23:16 PM
It doesn't exist yet, it would be a case of us approaching the forum mods to set it up

I missed that in the discussion.

Let me add my (considerable post lockdown) weight to the "Such a forum would be very useful" campaign.