Rules for 1:1 level games

Started by siredazirahk, 19 October 2020, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siredazirahk

Greetings from indonesia.

I have just bought bkc IV pdf product.
In the book it is said that bkc iv can be played with 1: 1 unit representation.
So i want to play with company level with 1:1 which is 1 vehicle model = 1 vehicle and for the infantry, 1 basing infantry = squad of infantry.
I have a question here that makes me quite confused, especially when it comes to using a list of points in the army list.
As for the point here, it is explained that 1 unit is equal to 1 platoon where one platoon contains 4-5 tanks.
How do I use the point system for 1:1 configuration? do i have to pay the existing unit points to represent 1 Tank and not 1 Platoon of Tank. Or do I have to divide the point cost of unit by 4 or 5 considering that it is the points for 1 platoon with 4 or 5 tanks.

Lets say i don't use a full strength for the platoon, I only use two or three tanks in one platoon which I assume its part of the support team(like in flames of war for example).

And for all the rules, are there any addition or adjustments to play with 1: 1 or I can use it right away without any changes??

Ithoriel

Firstly, welcome to the forum! I've found it to be a place full of friendly, helpful, well informed, if somewhat odd at times, people. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

As to the BKCIV rules. They work perfectly well, in my experience, for 1:1 games with no amendment needed. It's more a mental gear shift in the players vision of what's happening. A tank is a tank, not a troop or zug or whatever of them. A house model is a house not a hamlet or farm. That sort of thing.

You might want to scale back on some of the heftier support if using the army lists as is. Company "A", 1st Battalion, King's Own Shirkers and Deserters is even less likely to have the undivided support of a battleship than the battalion would at one stand to a platoon! Tiger IIs are less likely to be allocated at that level than StuGIIIs. All that said, never let someone other than your opponent dictate what you can and can't use in a game.

Many people seem to use Tables of Organisation and Equipment rather than the army list organisation in any case.

Hope that helps. If not, fire away with more questions.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

I haven't used BKCIV, but I did flirt with an earlier iteration of these rules – the last one, I think, before Pendraken took them over.  I always played 1:1 with no problem at all.  But, I ignored the points as I don't like my scenarios (real or imagined) to be constrained by some artificial impediment which serves no apparent useful purpose.   My advice is to ignore points, in any set of rules.  They are nothing but an unnecessary imposition, in my view, the point of which eludes me.

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 20 October 2020, 01:36:54 AM
I haven't used BKCIV, but I did flirt with an earlier iteration of these rules – the last one, I think, before Pendraken took them over.  I always played 1:1 with no problem at all.  But, I ignored the points as I don't like my scenarios (real or imagined) to be constrained by some artificial impediment which serves no apparent useful purpose.   My advice is to ignore points, in any set of rules.  They are nothing but an unnecessary imposition, in my view, the point of which eludes me.

Since we play fictional battles with fictional forces often commanded by players who can give you a run down on every version of the Land Raider the Empire ever produced but who wouldn't know a Matilda from a mattress we find limits and points a useful guide to ease them in to something grounded in reality.

If you find them useful, use them. If you dont, don't. Goes for the rest of the rules too, tbh.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

The mattress is more dangerous to the enemy, right?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 October 2020, 01:47:19 AM
Since we play fictional battles with fictional forces often commanded by players who can give you a run down on every version of the Land Raider the Empire ever produced but who wouldn't know a Matilda from a mattress we find limits and points a useful guide to ease them in to something grounded in reality.

If you find them useful, use them. If you dont, don't. Goes for the rest of the rules too, tbh.

This - if you have a good historical knowledge then more power to you, and you can create reasonable scenarios that's great. As Ithoriel says not everyone is in that boat, and plenty of gamers come from a points and army list building background. Having points and numbers available increases the usability of a set of rules.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shedman

I wouldn't worry about points - use the TOE / OOB instead.

There are no amendments for 1:1

I would suggest just playing it and if you think it needs amendments then make them

And welcome to the forum

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd also use the Platoon Commanders as officers and allow them to fight. Done once
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 October 2020, 03:26:00 AM

I certainly lost more money due to a mattress than anything else in my life .  :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

siredazirahk

20 October 2020, 12:27:15 PM #10 Last Edit: 20 October 2020, 12:41:04 PM by siredazirahk
Wow thank you very much you are all very kind and i really appreciate it.
Thank you Leon for allowing me to join here.
Salute to all veterans 🙇
Ok back to the topics.
Yes I understand there are many of us here that only use references from t.o.e, historical etc and dont really care about points, but in my case please forgive me coz I am a FOW player(and using fow based model) at home with my wife and children so I feel like attached to the points, and another reason is that I don't have enough space to play at 6 × 4 table, I only play at the 4 × 4 table. Seems like bkc will suit me for skirmish style company level since there are not too many model must be fielded.
so i can immediately play without worry changing and adapting any rules or stats, by assuming it is 1:1 and using the points already listed in the book means that 1 unit is equal to 1 model??

siredazirahk

A few days ago I had a chance to talk with Leon via Instagram and he told me this :

The army lists can be used as they are really, without any changes, for 1:1 level games.
The stats have been built around a platoon concept, so in real life a Sherman Firefly platoon would be 2x.
2x Sherman 75 + 1x Sherman Firefly, and the stats in BKC-IV are based on that combination. But you could still use them for a single Firefly model.
Yes, you can use the points and stats as they are, no worries. There may be some small changes that some of the other players might recommend, but they can explain that better than me!

Looking forward for suggestions and explanations from all veteran here🙇

Itinerant Hobbyist

This is an old thread, but most of my games have been played at the company level. I played at 6mm and am now doing most of my gaming at 15mm. I tinkered with using inches instead of Cm to differentiate from battalion vs company level, but I'm not sure I like how it played out when the game got close in.

I threw in a houseruled piat team, having hits slightly under a MG support team.

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 October 2020, 03:26:00 AM

Definitely. One cost me £180K divorce  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ace of Spades

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!