Venice rules the waves

Started by FierceKitty, 16 October 2020, 04:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

16 October 2020, 04:04:06 AM Last Edit: 16 October 2020, 04:15:29 AM by FierceKitty
Admiral Mario di Gregorio, Duke of Istria and Shark of St Mark, leads out the contribution of La Serenissima to rendezvous with the Holy League.

The Knights of Malta are under the brush.

Of course, in Italian his nickname has to be il Squalo Malo, but it's better in English.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Those look rather spiffy !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil  :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Pity they will all be splinters when Lee attacks them  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Maybe she'll be leading them. She likes Italy.

sunjester

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Looking good.  :-bd   

What naval rules?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Westmarcher

Ah! No doubt you'll have a few ideas already. Personally, I would struggle (but would probably refer to the currently free and available Spanish Fury rules in The Perfect Captain to get me started). Good luck.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

From what I've seen of the stuff that's out there, the secret must be to treat squadrons of ships like units of infantry in land warfare....

Steve J

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 October 2020, 10:24:41 AM
From what I've seen of the stuff that's out there, the secret must be to treat squadrons of ships like units of infantry in land warfare....

This is my thinking as well, to fight decent size battles you can't get bogged down in the details of individual ships

Unfortunately most of the rules I've seen focus on the details and seem to 'bathtub' larger battles

hammurabi70

Quote from: paulr on 16 October 2020, 11:48:10 PM
This is my thinking as well, to fight decent size battles you can't get bogged down in the details of individual ships

Unfortunately most of the rules I've seen focus on the details and seem to 'bathtub' larger battles

Yes, which is why I have kept away from the topic.  I have a friend who has tried to write larger battle rules and he is can do about 30 a side but one is in danger of reducing everything to a simple competitive die roll, which is why we gave up in the 1990s.  I hope you can pioneer the way with something new.  The P&SS friend a new approach with C17 naval warfare with Generals-at-Sea where units were squadrons (of sailing ships)  rather than individual ships.

paulr

David Manley made a good attempt at this approach back in the early 2000s with "Greek Fire and Roman Fury" based on the Fire & Fury 'engine'