Czechoslovak Army & border fortifications books, information, etc.

Started by MSawyer, 15 October 2020, 01:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSawyer

Hi everyone. Was wondering if there were any good books and/or websites about the Czechoslovak army and border fortifications in 1938? Just kinda got thinking about it in a alternate history sense, if Germany had attacked Czechoslovakia at that time. Would make an interesting wargame scenario. ;)
Keep your stick on the ice.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sultanbev

I have a 1938 Czech OOB (in Czech ???) which I've been translating for years, what is apparent is that although the army is credited with only about 20 divisions, there were in fact another 20 divisions worth of units in the foritfication army, they just weren't called divisions as such.

Mark

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Have a look at https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=189505&hilit=czech+fortifications, lots of good photos and https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=226756&p=2061182&hilit=czech+fortifications#p2061182.

Website has lots of good information.

Unfortunately Pendraken doesn't have Czech/Slovak infantry though. Not many proxies I can think of either.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

sultanbev

"Unfortunately Pendraken doesn't have Czech/Slovak infantry though. Not many proxies I can think of either."

There are some SCW International Brigade infantry in "Czech helmets" which might do. My first instinct was to use Italian figures in helmets.

Apart from LT vz35 and LT vz38 tanks (Panzer 35t and Panzer 38t respectively from German ranges) we'd also struggle with cavalry, cyclists, 37mm anti-tank guns, trucks, OA vz30 armoured cars, AA guns, LT vz34 light tanks, and the tankettes whatever they're called, in 10mm at least.

MSawyer

Quote from: sultanbev on 15 October 2020, 04:23:31 PM
I have a 1938 Czech OOB (in Czech ???) which I've been translating for years, what is apparent is that although the army is credited with only about 20 divisions, there were in fact another 20 divisions worth of units in the foritfication army, they just weren't called divisions as such.

Mark

Thanks! :) I thought that Polish infantry could be used as an ad-hoc solution.

MSawyer

Quote from: sultanbev on 15 October 2020, 11:20:03 PM
"Unfortunately Pendraken doesn't have Czech/Slovak infantry though. Not many proxies I can think of either."

There are some SCW International Brigade infantry in "Czech helmets" which might do. My first instinct was to use Italian figures in helmets.

Apart from LT vz35 and LT vz38 tanks (Panzer 35t and Panzer 38t respectively from German ranges) we'd also struggle with cavalry, cyclists, 37mm anti-tank guns, trucks, OA vz30 armoured cars, AA guns, LT vz34 light tanks, and the tankettes whatever they're called, in 10mm at least.

I thought that Polish infantry could be used as an ad-hoc solution.

sultanbev

Good call, yes, the Polish infantry would do. Not sure that the "Czech" helmeted SCW are the same helmets as 1938-39 Czechs.

Mark

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Bellona did a book on Czech atrmour, have a root round on ebay and Amazon
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021