Internet Copycating

Started by pierre the shy, 24 October 2020, 01:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

So I'm looking at a modern wargaming blog/site that I haven't seen before (probably because its mostly in Italian) since parts of it relate to Modern Spearhead, our groups goto ruleset for the period. One entry is about Modern Belgians so click on that since its an army that I have built in 6mm. Start reading what seems to be very familar wording to me.....probably should be because its a direct copy some notes I wrote some years ago and posted onto the 6mm Yahoo Group (now an io.group). There is NO reference to the origins or author of the material, its a literal cut and paste of my orignal web posting (except for "Cheers Peter" part that I usually include in my emails) :o >:(  :o   

Should I

a) be happy that someone has actually seen fit to copy my post to expose it to the world at large; or
b) email the owner and get him to either put up an acknowledgement of the source or remove it altogether?

Anyone care to comment on "Fair use" of posted material. Although new to me I'm sure this is a fairly common issue since the internet took off......
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Scorpio_Rocks

I think both a) and b)

To be honest I believe anything you "share" on a forum, newsgroup, bulletin board, social media is then freely available to the world (usually hidden in the "Terms and Conditions of Use" somewhere).

I think a message asking to be acknowledged as the author is fair.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

paulr

I think both a) and b)

To be honest I believe anything you "share" on a forum, newsgroup, bulletin board, social media is then freely available to the world (usually hidden in the "Terms and Conditions of Use" somewhere).

I think a message asking to be acknowledged as the author is fair.

Quoted from Scorpio_Rocks on Pendraken forum ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

;D ;D ;D

But I do agree with Scorpio.

Cheers - Phil (Copyright Technodestructorman II MMXX)  ;)

Chris Pringle

Quote from: paulr on 24 October 2020, 06:11:46 AM
I believe anything you "share" on a forum, newsgroup, bulletin board, social media is then freely available to the world
Quoted from Scorpio_Rocks on Pendraken forum ;)

Available to read, yes, but to copy, no. It is not the case that anything people post on the web instantly becomes fair game for you to re-use however you like.

Full explanation of 'fair use' here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Internet_publication

I would certainly go for (b) (though (a) also applies).

Chris

Leon

As Chris says, there's no free use for anything posted on the internet, it still remains your work.  I'd email the website owner and ask for a credit at the very least, but if you'd rather he didn't use it you're well within your rights to ask him to take it down.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sean66

nothing is free on the Internet.
I also agree if you copy over you should note or at least name check the blog person you copied it from!
but then again if he says no to taking it down, is it easy to make him comply ?
the problem is if he say no, then what ? Solicitors ? the cost ? :-
regards
Sean

Big Insect

"shaming" the copier is probably more fruitful (& cheaper) way of getting some sort of recognition in my experience.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

sean66

But then the 'shaming' what way will it be done on his blog? where he can remove the 'shaming post' ?
I'm just playing devils advocate but where would or could you shame them ?
sites like 'the Miniatures Page' or 'the wargames Website'
would they allow it ?
and more to the point who would see it ?
family and friends or wargaming buddys of the offender?  :-
regards
Sean

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Fraid this area is a minefield, be very careful what ever you do ! If the authour has given permission then al well and good, if not it's basically illegal, but a civil offence. There are all sorts of rumors and myths about what you can and can't do, for instance you can't use 10% of a publication, but can use a "reasonable amount" for review. If you have something copied you have a right to have it taken down.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Might be worth an email pointing out you're the original author (with the ate/time of original posting) and see what they say; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that's just plain rude!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting