US Tank Destroyer Company; M18 Hellcat

Started by MSawyer, 09 October 2020, 12:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSawyer

09 October 2020, 12:26:35 AM Last Edit: 09 October 2020, 02:18:45 AM by MSawyer
For a new 10mm project, I was thinking making a US Tank Destroyer (TD) company equipped with the M18 Hellcat. Been reading about TD battalion and company organization in Casemate Publishing's book US Army Vehicle Markings 1944, and according to this a TD company would be fitted with:

• 6x Jeeps
  • 8x M20 Armored Cars

• 1x 2.5 ton Truck
  • 1x M32 Armored Recovery Vehicle (ARV)

• 12x M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyers

As you can see this will be a bit of a expensive project, but also an interesting one. Might be fun to do a battle between the TD company+a company of supporting US infantry, and a an ad-hoc Kampgroupe of German panzers and infantry. Let me know if there anything I missed any equipment in the organization, as comment and constructive criticism is welcome. :D
Keep your stick on the ice.

fred.

Sounds cool, I have built a lot of my British forces based on TOE - and I find it good from both the research point of view, and seeing what forces where actually fielded together rather, than the mix and match gamers usually take.

You could build it in platoons, if you want to keep the costs down. Although with postage to the US, you might be better getting it all in one go.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Your TOE is good. TD's didnt normnally fight above company level, and rember to keep moving those Hellcats are very thin.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

MSawyer

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 October 2020, 07:48:21 AM
Your TOE is good. TD's didnt normnally fight above company level, and rember to keep moving those Hellcats are very thin.

Thanks! And yes, Shoot and Scoot!  ;)

Scorpio_Rocks

To save (a little) just depict the 3 "fighting" platoons and ignore the HQ and Maintenance Platoon.

This brings you down to 3x Jeeps, 6x M8/M20 and 12x M18.

Nice depiction here:
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

MSawyer

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 09 October 2020, 04:55:59 PM
To save (a little) just depict the 3 "fighting" platoons and ignore the HQ and Maintenance Platoon.

This brings you down to 3x Jeeps, 6x M8/M20 and 12x M18.

Nice depiction here:

Thanks for the advice! I think I might keep C2 and Maintenance though for added realism.

Depends on the rules you wnat to use. If using Battlegroup you will need the Duce and a half to re-supply your ammunition. Not that I use the supply rules in there myself.

MSawyer

Quote from: ianrs54 on 10 October 2020, 08:07:39 AM
Depends on the rules you wnat to use. If using Battlegroup you will need the Duce and a half to re-supply your ammunition. Not that I use the supply rules in there myself.

Interesting, do HQ units come into play in Battlegroup?

Yes - as officers, comand and control is via number of orders. You add 1 per officer and 2 for senior officer, and add the roll off 1, 2 or 3 D6 depending on the game size.

MSawyer

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 October 2020, 09:09:14 AM
Yes - as officers, comand and control is via number of orders. You add 1 per officer and 2 for senior officer, and add the roll off 1, 2 or 3 D6 depending on the game size.

Nice, sounds like a game I can get into. :)

flamingpig0

Quote from: ianrs54 on 10 October 2020, 08:07:39 AM

I was rather put off the rules by having to keep separate records for AP and He rounds for each  gun armed vehicle
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Most players in our club ignore that rule.

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James