Noktus 15mm Miniatures

Started by Noktu, 07 October 2020, 08:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noktu

Hello,

Just had to order some Peter Pig 15mm to see how I fare with larger models. Planning on doing some sort of skirmish / Dungeons and Dragons / Mordheim / Dungeon Crawler type of stuff.

These are from the Peter Pig's WOTR range, and wanted to try out new bases with the cavalry models. The infantry will be on Alternative Armies resin bases.

I used a dark brown undercoat, which is why I decided to leave all horses dark brown. Except try to bring atleast some form of variation with the mane colours. I just feel the horses turned out rather bland aye?

But I feel like I nailed the basing sand this time. I made my own mix of very fine grain ( Pendraken Sand, YES I ORDERED SAND FROM ENGLAND :D ), couple of teaspoons of fine ballast and one teaspoon of coarse ballast (Woodland Scenics).

What do you guys think? Also I feel like the green/red scheme does not really complement the very dark horses. Feel a bit annoyed as I felt I spent a good while painting these bastards.

1 by Atte, on Flickr

2 by Atte, on Flickr

3 by Atte, on Flickr

Steve J

Well I'd be more than happy with these!

mmcv

As ever your painting is top notch. I do see what you mean with the horses though, I think it's the red being close in tone to the horse brown. Looks really good, much better than anything I'd have done, but I wonder if you went a shade of two brighter on the red or the brown would it contrast and pop more. I'd go for he red as you want the figures to stand out more than the horses, which I think look well in the darker brown.

The basing is ace though. Really nice.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

As mmcv said a brighter red would help the men pop a bit :)

The painting is up to your normal very high standard and the basing definitely works
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

+1

I like them lots, as they are. :-bd
No need to brighten them up from my point of view. But, heck, Atte, if you want them in a bit brighter, I'd follow Paul and Matthew's idea.

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Noktu

Thank you so much guys!

Also I don't know what I'd do without you lot. I did brighten up the red with a orange / red mix, and went back to do a highlight on the reins aswell. Looking so much better!

Steve J

Yep, this forum's great for advice :).

Noktu

Guys, just wanted to share this dismay of mine.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/bases-for-miniatures-from-alternative-armies/products/59021-25mm-square-resin-cartouche-bases

These resin bases are the worst. Very ugly finish on the sides, PVA does not stick to the resin surface ( just pools and runs away ).

I wonder why even bother making these compared to basic plastic or mdf ones?

Would it look stupid as I've got 70 miniatures already based on these, to start basing newer batches of figures with basic plastic square bases?

Techno II

Hmmmm.  :-\

I wonder if the resin (in this batch) is still covered in the releasing agent.....making the pva run off ?
Is it worth giving these new bases a good scrub with washing up liquid ?.....Or maybe 'roughing' up the surface with some fine sandpaper, Atte ?
That MIGHT save them.

Cheers - Phil

Noktu

Thanks for the tips Phil! Is the resin dust how poisonous in reality?

Techno II

I really couldn't answer that properly, Atte.  :-\

With a bit of luck, Leon might know the Health and safety regulations as far as resin is concerned.

Like any fine particles, it's almost certainly best NOT to breathe them in......A dust/surgical mask might be an idea ?

Maybe have a Google ?

Cheers - Phil.  :)

mmcv

I suspect a little bit of sanding to rough up would be fine, but if you were doing a lot a mask might be sensible. Washing seems to be considered standard for resins.

I've found any resin I've used (a few cheap buildings) to be fairly brittle and fragile so haven't been keen on it, though I understand it can be used to produce some high quality sculpts if done properly..

What you could possibly do is try and find similar shaped plastic or MDF ones? If you look for "25mm rounded square bases" you might find some, e.g. https://www.fluid3dworkshop.co.uk/ or Leon might be able to do it in MDF.