Assault Pak 40

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 28 September 2020, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itinerant Hobbyist

I assaulted a pak 40 w two infantry stands, both on the flank, so the Pak 40 got 0 attacks, is that correct? CA 2 - 2 for each unit attacking on its flank or rear.

They were in gun pit/foxhole, so were hit on 6 in first round. Canadians only scored one hit out of all those dice. So the Pak 40 needed to move 1/2 step away. That seemed odd, I don't think the troops would pull their PK 40 with from an assault. Didn't they weigh 1500+ lbs?

Steve J

I don't have the book to hand, but I think the intention was for the crew to abandon their weapon, which seems the most logical outcome.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Agreed. I'll also have to dig into the rules to find out.

Ithoriel

The infantry are close assaulting.

They win the combat 1 to 0.

They score double, or more, their opponents total.

PAK40 and crew are eliminated.

Bottom of page 41, assuming you are using BKCIV.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Itinerant Hobbyist

There's an asterisk that says if it's 1 hit to 0 or 2 hits to 1 that you use the middle row result...if I'm reading that correct.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 September 2020, 10:00:54 PM
The infantry are close assaulting.

They win the combat 1 to 0.

They score double, or more, their opponents total.

PAK40 and crew are eliminated.

Bottom of page 41, assuming you are using BKCIV.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Now that I read page 36, fall back, it appears any dug in troops or guns may not fall-back...but I may not be correct in applying those rules to assaults since they're a unique combat process.

Big Insect

You are correct - dug-in guns (& that includes AT guns) cannot fall back (regardless of the cause) so are destroyed in the scenario you have outlined.

This is to reflect the fact that the crew would just retire (run) in an assault situation as you describe and the gun would be lost.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.