Any Progress on WWII Missing Infantry Troops, e.g. LMGs, etc.?

Started by Mako, 27 September 2020, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

I realize that perhaps I'm the only one who seems to be concerned, given the lack of response to a previous posting, but I really would like to see some mid-late war, WWII German troops with the MG42, walking as if on patrol, with the gun leveled and at the ready, like they did tactically, back in the day when on patrol.  A couple of guys carrying ammo cans for it would be nice too, with their rifles slung over their shoulders.

We could also use some MG42s in the prone and firing mode - bipod, and/or on a tripod, for Summer and Winter units too (can't recall which are available now, since it's been a while, but the selection as I recall was a bit limited).

Without the above, especially the troops walking, carrying the MG42s, and/or firing from bipods, it's really impossible to make historical units up for the squads, platoons, and companies needed.

I know in some cases MG34s are available, but due to the nice quality of the minis, I can tell the difference, so don't really want to use those.

As I recall, we could also use some guys with panzerfausts, panzerschrecks, multi-headed grenades, and guys carrying a couple of teller mines each, for anti-tank work.  I wouldn't look askance at guys with molotov cocktails, or carrying and attaching magnetic mines either.

Anyone else interested in these, or is it just me?

Ithoriel

Not interested in a prone, firing, position. For any weapon, not just the MG42.

At the moment my 1943 Wehrmacht  infantry platoons carry MG34s (GRF48 DAK MG34 team painted feldgrau) while the MG platoon uses MG42s.

Given that both weapons were in use from mid-42 on and that in 10mm the difference between the two is small I'm not sure how economic it would be for Pendraken to produce.

A moving MG42 team along the lines of GRF48 would be nice though.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

I suspect Leon will keep a watching brief on this thread and "count the votes" if there is any......

ronan

Ithoriel

Quote from: ronan on 28 September 2020, 07:52:57 PM
I agree, but only if it's not restricted to tge germans
;)

I agree with that qualification!

Three Russians in a trench anyone?

Carthago Delenda Est! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Mako

I'd prefer MG42 (want this one most), and/or Mg34 gunner walking/patroling, with the gun leveled and ready to fire from the hip if needed, for this weapon.

German tactical doctrine called for the MGers to be on point, when patroling and advancing, supported by a couple of loaders close behind, carrying extra ammo cans, with rifles slung over their shoulders.  They were there to basically feed the weapon, provide more ammo as needed, and help support and protect the MGer.  The entire German squad was built around supporting this weapon, which was seen as the backbone of the squad.  The other troops armed with rifles were basically there pretty much to provide protection, and take over the MG if/when the main gunner was injured or killed.

So, without these, in either walking with the gun level, or prone and firing poses, it is really impossible to make up a historically accurate German squad, platoon, or company.

The pose with the guy carrying the MG over the shoulder would be okay too, for representing troops walking and/or relocating in rear areas, but no one in their right might would carry a MG like that if there was the possibility of imminent contact.

chrishanley

Apart from casualties, (which I only use as markers) I really really dislike prone figures.

Can I urge all future ranges to have standing/walking light machine gunners with appropriate ammunition laden number twos?

The same applies for anti-tank rifles, bazooka teams and any other figure who may be tempted to lie down. 

I know it is too much to ask for this to be included in old ranges, but it would be most appreciated...

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The worst thing about almost all figures with LMGS is that they are cast/molded with the left hand on the gas piston. NO - that bit gets very hot, burns will follow.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sultanbev

Quote from: chrishanley on 03 October 2020, 11:06:49 AM
Apart from casualties, (which I only use as markers) I really really dislike prone figures.

Can I urge all future ranges to have standing/walking light machine gunners with appropriate ammunition laden number twos?

The same applies for anti-tank rifles, bazooka teams and any other figure who may be tempted to lie down. 

I know it is too much to ask for this to be included in old ranges, but it would be most appreciated...

+1
Totally agree. I had some French 1940 infantry made with Boys A/T rifles, and they included a walking carrying pose.

fsn

Quote from: chrishanley on 03 October 2020, 11:06:49 AM
Yup. Wot he sed.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ronan

I do like prone figs.
Because I mainly play with tactical rules ( Chain of Command for example) so we need different poses.

But my main concern is : why always ask it for the german ? ( cf. above about the 3 men trench )
Do you really play only with german figs on your table ?  :D

( I wanted to add that, when playing larger scales, I also like bases with differents poses. ie. the thread about cavalry. I don't think a base with 3 to 6 heavy horses, waiting to charge, will keep the exact same pose  ;) )

John Cook

I agree about prone LMG types, and firing MMG for that matter,  I don't like them much, although I like to have both so that there can be no confusion about whether they are prone/firing or not.  All my prone/firing MG have converted moving counterparts.