witch rules to consider for grand tactical 1870

Started by onyrevient, 25 September 2020, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onyrevient

back in wargame after 20 year I must choose witch rules/scales to use.

I already hown
1871: Fast Play Grand Tactical Rules For the Franco-Prussian War
They Died For Glory
Polemos Komandant der armee

So far I consider Polemos, I like a lot the 60*60 bases look.

since 30 years look like the rules are now more simple, specially the command system, good move I think. they are more close to the first I have played with

Chris Pringle

As you said in your Welcome thread, BBB could be an option. It was primarily designed for FPW. The rulebook contains 9 scenarios for the biggest battles of the war. We fought all 9 to a finish in a 3-day weekend (3 games a day, about 4 hours per game including set-up and take-down).

There are another 7 scenarios freely available from the group files.
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles/files/1870%20Franco-Prussian%20War/Free%20scenarios%20-%20FPW
The Corlears Hook Fencibles, in New York, fought through 14 of these in a more leisurely campaign of about one battle a month:
http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/2017/03/la-guerre-est-finie.html

Lots of reviews listed on the BBBBlog (search under the 'Review of BBB' label).

Good luck with finding the ruleset that best suits your tastes.

Chris

Nick the Lemming

I'll second Bloody Big Battles, they're great rules and pretty quick to pick up, and with the ability to play the big battles (it's int he name after all) with ease.

I know that Leman has also recommended Weigle's 1870 and 1871 rules sets, which I'm still yet to pick up.

Chad

BruceWeigle's rules are worth getting as apart from the rules themselves they contain a lot of useful background information as well as OOBs and maps.

Steve J

Bloody Big Battles to play the games, Bruce's books for plenty of excellent background info. BBB also has loads of great scenarios too.

paulr

Another option is Volley & Bayonet: Road to Glory, the second edition of Volley & Bayonet published in 2008.

It includes rules for the Black Powder Era from 1700 to 1890 and can be purchased here

https://testofbattle.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=ak464eaddcmfc4km94pa410up5

While primarily focused on the Napoleonic period it is widely used for ACW and various conflicts around 1870

Each base represents a brigade so very large battles can be fought in a reasonable space

You can find more information on the rules, including many AARs, at this site https://volleyandbayonet.wordpress.com/volley-bayonet-publications/
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Onyrevient, you will quickly discover that a particular cat can be pedantic about spelling and punctuation

Occasionally it is amusing, the rest of the time  :-<

He does also provide a good selection of pictures of his models and games as well as more interesting discussions :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shedman

I would recommend Bloody Big Battles as it has scenarios for all of the major battles for the FPW and all playable on a 6x4 table

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 26 September 2020, 04:06:38 AM
Onyrevient, you will quickly discover that a particular cat can be pedantic about spelling and punctuation

He does also provide a good selection of pictures of his models and games as well as more interesting discussions :)

You and Ian are the same person, aren't you?

=^..^=

mmcv

BBB definitely gives a good game, plenty of scenarios and well supported. I've not played any FPW but had fun with some Crimean and ACW scenarios.

As Paul says, don't pay too much mind to FierceKitty and his pedantic ways.  ;)

FierceKitty

The only freedom that matters is the freedom to say that two and two make four. All others follow from this.

onyrevient

Look like BBB has a lot of favors but what's the difference with Polemos Komandant der armee ?

Quote from: paulr on 26 September 2020, 04:06:38 AM

not sure to understand everything, anyway I have 2 dogs, Miss Poupette et Sir Winston definitively not peasant :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 26 September 2020, 08:40:21 AM
You and Ian are the same person, aren't you?

=^..^=

Certrainly not - I am completely and totally unique  :P :P
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021