10mm Regimental F&F Basing advice

Started by Battleback, 25 September 2020, 09:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

More like 0.3cm x 20cm, maybe 0.5cm x 20cm if you allow for Sergeants & Officers at the rear
But then the figures won't fit...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Battleback

Quote from: T13A on 26 September 2020, 08:53:28 AM
Hi

You might want to look at this excellent blog, although it is aimed at Brigade F&F I'm pretty sure the basing is the same for the Regimental version:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2020/02/01/playing-brigade-fire-fury-2nd-edition-in-10mm-i-did-it-my-way/

Great period and rules and an AAR here:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2020/07/27/gettysburg-2nd-july-1863-sickles-salient-a-solo-refight-using-brigade-fire-fury-2nd-edition/

There are some others if you search around the blog.

Cheers Paul
Thanks so much for the link! That was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of doing but wasn't sure if I would be happy with it. I really like the look of his table, I would be happy if mine look just half as good. Now I'm back to square one, go with the 15mm basing system and scale it down or more models per stand and use the 15mm scale bases for more mass effect  :-

It's interesting how he scaled down his game by 1/5th, its easy to calculate. But if you look on the Regimental F&F support page they have a 6mm QRS already made with the same 1/5th reduced scale converted to inches already, so really I would just use that and wouldn't have to worry about any math  8) That was what I was originally planning to do but I wasn't sure what size bases I should use to fit the ground scale, but it turns out that 20mm x 15mm bases should work perfectly.

Battleback

Quote from: Orcs on 26 September 2020, 04:00:13 PM
I am basing mine on the 15mm recommendations for F &F

5 infantry in two staggered  ranks (3 in front, 2 at rear) on a 25mm x 20 base
2 cavalry on 25mm x 20 base
2/3 dismounted cavalry on 25mm x 20 base

Two of my freinds on here like black powder for ACW  so leon has made me 90mm sabot bases that will take 3 of the F&F bases.  I also have a few 30mm wide sabot bases for a single F&F base to make up large units for Black powder
Is that the basing recommendations from the original F&F? I do like that approach too, if I go with the 15mm scale bases I'll definitely give consideration going with 2 staggered ranks of 5 figures.

hammurabi70

Quote from: paulr on 26 September 2020, 09:37:36 PM
More like 0.3cm x 20cm, maybe 0.5cm x 20cm if you allow for Sergeants & Officers at the rear
But then the figures won't fit...

The real implication is for rules. Was it TACTICA where wheeling was very slow and the rules included special wheeling templates? As a generality armies were not inclined to massive wheeling manoeuvres but mainly moved forward and backwards and were concerned with depth as much as overlaps. Rules seldom seem to factor such matters.