Hi from York

Started by KeepCalmDoSums, 19 August 2020, 10:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 August 2020, 09:59:30 AM
Well Phil is not busy,

If only you knew, Ian. ;D ;D ;D.

(When I had  the recent 'clear-up', I found a duck knight (true...genuinely)....no idea what scale it's supposed to be..which firm made it.... I guess it was something to do with Runequest.)

Do you want it, before it goes in the bin ?......I'll send it up to Leon, when I send a  container's worth of soldiers up to Pendraken Towers.

That's if I can ever find the damn thing again. X_X

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No dont need it, remember 10mm is a tad large for me  :P
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Welcome to the Lunatic asylum Andrew.

I will forgive you for being a math teacher, while I did not like maths at school I did have some very good a patient teachers of maths.  being an engineer, stuff has to hae a practicality to it and I could never see the point of Simultaneous equations, and have never found a use for them in real life.

The Forum is a wealth of knowledge enriched by a large amount of bamter, a little sarcasm. and a whole lot of silliness.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Ostfront you say?

Then ....

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!
Fremde, etranger, stranger.
Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante,
Happy to see you, bleibe, reste, stay.

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Das Forum, au Le Forum, to the Forum!

Here ... life is beautiful

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chris Pringle

Greetings, fellow numerate!

You mention WW2 operational-level rules. Let me tantalise you by enthusing about Frank Chadwick and Glenn Kidd's long-promised but still as yet unpublished 'Breakthrough!' rules: 3 game turns per day (one of which is a night turn), 1" = 500m, base unit is a battalion on a 2"x2" base (though we use 2"x1"). AAR here:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2019/06/operation-bluecoat-wilderness-in-bocage.html

Welcome to the forum and have fun!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331/

fred.

Those rules do sound interesting. I have toyed with doing market garden at this sort of scale, and you get a lot of it on a standard wargames table.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

KeepCalmDoSums

Hi everyone and firstly:  apologies for my not answering your greetings in good time.  To say I've been distracted by recent events is to make a gross understatement, and wargaming has had to be put out of sight on the back burner.  Unfortunately, just before COVID I had (a) resigned one job with another "promised", and (b) dismantled all my current wargaming projects to make room for the new one.  Well:  that worked well, didn't it?

In some ways, the enforced break has served to focus my attention on what I really want from the hobby moving forward.  So it's an ill wind and all that, and I am definitely moving to from 6mm to 10mm and changing the genre(s).

Anyhoo...

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me and, again, my apologies for disappearing.  In particular:

Anyone making maths jokes:  keep 'em coming.  I always say there are 10 types of people in the world:  those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Scorpio Rock:  I'm originally from Manchester (when it was in Lancashire).  That's 29 Hawkeshead Road, Cheetham behind me in my pic - yes:  that's me.  Don't tell the locals - some of them have memories going back a lo-o-ong time.

Norm:  I still have a very soft spot for Corps/Korps Commander and OGRE/GEV is classic beer 'n' pretzels, even though I only realised recently that I've been playing it wrong for more than three decades.  Good grief.  Also:  I've played your WW2 hex game and it's a work of genius - thank you for making it available.  It makes a great solo game and easily works with large games on big tables, too.  The only mods I've made are (1) turn the "command" roll into a d10 with different success requirements for different quality units, and (2) grant one "automatic command" per company-sized combat group.

fsn:  I studied the Soviet Army "professionally" and ended up becoming a little obsessed, and more or less any eastern WW1/2/3 action grabs my interest.  If I have to choose, it's probably '42-'43 and alternate history.  I can speak enough Russian to swear convincingly, shout suitably patriotic slogans and burst into the Soviet National Anthem to celebrate victory.  I have also been told I have the tactical subtlety of a charging bull so commanding suicidal Russian All-Or-Nothing attacks or Not-One-Step-Back defences suits me down to the ground.

fred.:  VSF is an interesting genre for wargaming and all sorts of figures can be kitbashed into Selenites, Troglodytes, Cephelopods etc. and steam-/Sterling-powered vehicles.  I like the quality of Pendraken but may have to dip into Irregular for things like "characters".  Pendraken has more than enough variety for my WW2 project.  Now you come to mention it, Wombles with Martini-Henry rifles... mmmm...  Wimbledon Drift, anyone?

Orcs:  Patience is my middle name when it comes to people not "getting it" straight away - been there;  done that;  know what it feels like.

Ithoriel:  предпочитаю "привет!" - и не "остфронт" а "Великая Отечественная Bойна".  Вперёд! и ни шагу назад!

Chris Pringle:  I'm familiar with BBB.  My rules are different as I wanted the wargames board to look like a map table as seen by a Corps or Army Commander and "reads" like a historical battle report.  Unfortunately we're going to go hex board here, with battalions as individual elements and "tactical groups" of multiple units operating together.  I'll be looking for playtesters when the main body of rules is written up.

And on that note... 

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the interesting posts in this forum;  I'm looking forward to taking an active part when normality, or whatever passes for it, resumes.
"Ha!  Anything but a pair of ones and I've won!"
My last dice roll on the last turn of a game.  I lost.

paulr

Welcome back :-h

Hopefully normality, or whatever passes for it, resumes soon
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

I like York.

p.s. Is it alright if I just call you Taras Bulba, for short?

(Hi and welcome, btw)
   :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: KeepCalmDoSums on 20 September 2020, 08:13:35 PMScorpio Rock (Sic):  I'm originally from Manchester (when it was in Lancashire).  That's 29 Hawkeshead Road, Cheetham behind me in my pic - yes:  that's me.  Don't tell the locals - some of them have memories going back a lo-o-ong time.

Boo Hiss!
(at least you has the good sense to move to God's own county - so we will let you off :P )
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Westmarcher on 20 September 2020, 09:06:50 PM
I like York.

p.s. Is it alright if I just call you Taras Bulba, for short?

(Hi and welcome, btw)
  :)

I like York too. Was going to go there this Spring but something happened ... don't remember what :D

You could call him KCDS. Though he might then sound like a K-Pop Band :)

There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

I also tend to use Great Patriotic War rather than Eastern Front ... to the confusion of several of my friends.

"Death to the Fascist Vipers!" Wait! What am I saying? I was always one of the Germans in our Stalingrad to Kursk campaigns!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

KeepCalmDoSums

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 September 2020, 10:48:31 PM

There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

;D  Good one!
"Ha!  Anything but a pair of ones and I've won!"
My last dice roll on the last turn of a game.  I lost.

DaveH

Belated welcome. I like Ogre/GEV too and have had my copies since the late 1970s.