Hi from Quebec

Started by onyrevient, 24 September 2020, 05:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onyrevient

Like others I gave up figurines twenty years ago when I moved from France to Canada, lack of opponent was the 1st reason
For few years, computer wargames have kept me happy but being frustrated by lack of historicity of battle results.
Finally, I practically stopped everything in 2007 .
But since a few months now, my interest in wargames has resumed when I noticed the increase of solo rules.
3 weeks ago I decided to cross the Rubicon, first with 1/72 plastic soldier for "Up the Niles", then 10 days ago I have made my first order to Pendraken for some 1870's French.
My other period are 30years war/ECW - 1st empire
my nickname mean "We come back"

fred.

Welcome!

Good to have you back on board the gaming wagon - I had a big gap out of gaming, came back about 10-15 years ago, being older and having more disposal income does mean the lead mountain grows quickly!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Bienvenue! Funny how many of us 'leave' the hobby and then return. Like salmon returning to their spawning ground ...........  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

Welcome! Good to have you on the gaming scene. I hope you share with us your progress. I mostly play solo too and a lot of rulesets work pretty well for it. I used to play a lot of computer games too but found them tiresome as I got older. Doesn't pull you in the same way a physical game does.

fsn

Hello, good evening, and welcome.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

paulr

Welcome onyrevient :-h

Quote from: onyrevient on 24 September 2020, 05:17:53 PM
My other period are 30years war/ECW - 1st empire

The ECW range has many very nice figures and I can strongly recommend the For King & Parliament rules which are derived from Simon Miller's To the Strongest Ancient and Medieval rules.
They were co-authored by a forum member, Mollinary. They work very well solo and their is some work under way to extend them to the 30 Years War
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Hi onyrevient, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

I have a regular Canadian opponent myself. The tribe can be won over to the noble hobby.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chris Pringle

"He has returned!"
"Your majesty, I promise to bring him back to Paris in an iron cage."

Welcome back to the hobby! Solo isn't the only option - as we've all been forced to discover this year, it is possible to game remotely in various ways. Maybe you'll find some kindred spirits you can battle on Zoom or whatever?

1870 - excellent choice. Lots of good gaming to be had from the Franco-Prussian War, especially in this 150th anniversary year.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331

pierre the shy

"Welcome back to the fight - this time I know our side will win"

I have been "in and out" off gaming myself over the years.....but its like the Hotel California - you can check out but you can never leave.

Anyway, best of luck with your future gaming plans and welcome to the forum.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

T13A

Hi

Welcome back.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

DaveH

Welcome to these boards.

Solo gaming or using zoom or similar to play with other people can both be good options.