Greetings from California

Started by Baron Von Kranky, 22 September 2020, 11:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Von Kranky

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to miniatures gaming and am looking forward to learning the ropes. Right now I'm working with SYW and ACW but I'm considering other areas as well.

mmcv

Hello and welcome! You'll find plenty of good advice and inspiration here, I know I have over the last couple of years since I joined.

Good periods to start with, what other periods are pulling on your attention?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

Welcome Herr Baron!

Not periods I currently game but plenty of others here do.

I've found the forum to be fun, friendly and a fount of information and support. I hope you enjoy your time here too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Jerboa

Welcome from a fellow Californian! I'm in the Bay Area.
Jerboa

Baron Von Kranky

Quote from: mmcv on 22 September 2020, 11:29:54 PM
Hello and welcome! You'll find plenty of good advice and inspiration here, I know I have over the last couple of years since I joined.

Good periods to start with, what other periods are pulling on your attention?

So I'm interested in just about everything! Franco-Prussian, WW I-II, colonial wars, etc. But I'm toying with a WW 1 Middle East theme...

Baron Von Kranky

Quote from: Jerboa on 23 September 2020, 12:57:36 AM
Welcome from a fellow Californian! I'm in the Bay Area.
Jerboa

Very nice! I'm in Ventura area.

FierceKitty

Welcome.

SYW is the best of the lot, anyway. WNA rather a bloodbath, but I started recently and I'm enjoying it more than I expected.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Scorpio_Rocks

:-h Welcome aboard!  :-h

Any relation to these two?
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Steve J

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Quote from: Baron Von Kranky on 23 September 2020, 02:58:49 AM
So I'm interested in just about everything! Franco-Prussian, WW I-II, colonial wars, etc. But I'm toying with a WW 1 Middle East theme...

Some very nice figures in the WWI Middle East and ANZAC ranges, with some very nice recent additions

It is a fascinating sub-period  of WWI with almost all the 'toys' but dispersed enough to allow maneuver, as a Kiwi I have a strong connection to the conflict

You can find some pictures of my efforts starting here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10663.msg139026.html#msg139026
Please ignore the Photobucket defacement :-<

We use the Too Fat Lardies If the Lord Spares Us rules in which a base is approximately a platoon and companies are the tactical unit. They are an older rule set (2005) but we find they give a very good game and cope with up to a Division a side

A couple of battle reports can be found here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15766.0.html (one of mine) and http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18092.0.html (Martin1914's)

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson