Make new figures conversions of TB line figures instead of Pendraken ones

Started by Dunnadd, 20 September 2020, 11:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clibinarium

Interesting thread. From my own point of view I really don't like working on someone else's figures for conversion. That's why I've always done my own horses for example. I kinda want to have the figure be all my own work, whether it turns out bad or good, I need to own it either way. For the same reason I'd be super annoyed if I saw my figures being converted by someone else. I couldn't stop it from happening, but it would be a problem.

I think I initially used the Pendraken doll set as doing a figure from scratch was beyond my capabilites when I started, but once I got better I made my own sets of dolls. That's not knocking the Pendraken dolls- without them I wouldn't have gotten any further.

The difference between a 12mm and a 10mm is, well 2mm or an extra 20 percent, but its an immense difference in space to work in. Sculptors are always looking for a bit ore space for fitting things in, which is where scale creep comes in. You have to work very hard to keep it at bay. The reason the AWI have large noggins for instance is because that's the smallest I could sculpt a recognisable head then. My Late Roman horses are huge chunky things compared to the later LoA horse.  Differences in heft are much more noticable than height, which is why its often more apparent in the horses than the men.

Recently I've started working digitally and have been experimenting with scales (because that's easy to alter digitally), and I've printed 28mm figs at 10mm . It is stiking (even if entirely predictable) just how spindlely a 28mm fig looks at 10mm. Its a little gem, but completely impractical as a figure. When the necessary exaggerations are made and seen on screen they make the fig look like some sort of Frankenstien's Monster.

The lesson is each scale has its own design considerations.

clibinarium

Also the question of sculpting in someone else's style; I wouldn't be averse to that if I admired the style (and was capable of working to it, which isn't a given), but if I thought it wasn't good  I doubt I'd do it. To work on figures "consistent" with others is really what you'd be aiming at. Its actually not something I've ever been asked to do.

TB are some of the nicest 10mm figs available, but I am sure the other Pendraken sculptors are doing their best work, and that Pendraken are not doing things on the cheap. There have been bad figures from the early days- I've openly said that I ditched the first figures I got from Pendraken (long deceased Marlburian figures) because they were too rough looking (hence why they are withdrawn). It was seeing the SYW range on Deep Fried Happy Mice, around 2001/2 that made me stop and go "wow- 10mm figures can be amazing", and I think Pendraken have built on that.

Steve J

QuoteRecently I've started working digitally and have been experimenting with scales (because that's easy to alter digitally), and I've printed 28mm figs at 10mm . It is stiking (even if entirely predictable) just how spindlely a 28mm fig looks at 10mm. Its a little gem, but completely impractical as a figure. When the necessary exaggerations are made and seen on screen they make the fig look like some sort of Frankenstien's Monster.
A friend did this a few years ago at work, printing the same figure at different scales. As you say, they looked fine on screen, but as you got smaller they just looked wrong, even they they were completely accurate. So aside from casting issues, you have to make things look right first and foremost. Michael Angelo's 'David' is a classic example. We all assume it is perfectly sculpted (which it is), but in fact it was made to be viewed when on a building, so the proportions are all wrong when seen as it is currently displayed, yet we don't notice.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Oh, dear....  X_X

I've just seen this particular thread.

Gimme frigging strength. =)

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Just wandered in also. Have rarely ever seen a company that listens to customers as carefully as the Pendraken crew and is so deeply committed  to continual improvement. I also got to watch Techno turn out a dozen brilliant sculpts (using Pendraken dollies) to meet my exact needs and taste and then Leon cast them up for me. The sculpting cost was a fraction of my annual hobby budget and way less than I drop in one day at a convention.

Others could likely do the same and help with the expansion and improvement of the multitude of ranges.  Yes, some of the early ranges could stand improvement and maybe a few more horse poses could be done (I hate horses, however, so nothing will make me happy unless someone else paints them - like Pixie  :) ). Pig face helmets anyone?

Basically Pendraken IS 10mm imho.
Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 26 November 2020, 09:27:55 PM
I still stand by my original comments on page 2.

Quite so.  Nothing more to be said, which is why I didn't join the thread in September.

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno II on 26 November 2020, 04:12:22 PM
Oh, dear....  X_X

I've just seen this particular thread.

Gimme frigging strength. =)

Well we do want QUALITY figures Phil inculding duck knights and wombles with AK's  :D :D :D :O)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: ianrs54 on 27 November 2020, 01:29:26 PM
Well we do want QUALITY figures Phil inculding duck knights and wombles with AK's  :D :D :D :O)

Well there is a Jonstown Compendium scenario just waiting for the ducks.....

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!