Make new figures conversions of TB line figures instead of Pendraken ones

Started by Dunnadd, 20 September 2020, 11:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

Perhaps the solution is to sell and promote the TB Line range as a different scale, if that is what they are. There is no useful comparison of different scales except to note the obvious as has been done in this thread: that larger scales can and should incorporate more detail. And, yes, there's every reason that smaller scales should appear chunkier.

12mm has its attractions and is gaining some interest, even in plastic. But we all know that as attractive as it might be to allow 10mm to morph into 12mm, 12mm might just as easily scale-creep to 15mm.

It might be better to remember why 10mm is such a good scale. And TB Line is just another, different good thing.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

The thing there is that I don't think the TB's are 12mm.  I've stood them next to ours and the difference is minimal, it's one of the reasons we bought the ranges up.  If they'd been incompatible with ours then we wouldn't have bothered.

On the 12mm plastics, I've not seen those next to our figures yet but the WWII vehicles being produced are 10mm / 150th scale and match up with ours fine.  There's been a few pics posted on Facebook so far where they look almost exactly the same size. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 22 September 2020, 06:19:55 PM
Leon, at this point I think you're wasting time responding to someone who's frankly speaking bollocks.

Wot he said...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The PSC 10mm Modern stuff is compatable with the Falklands range,,,,,so your Chefey is needed NOW Leon  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Quote from: Leon on 23 September 2020, 02:57:19 PM
The thing there is that I don't think the TB's are 12mm.  I've stood them next to ours and the difference is minimal, it's one of the reasons we bought the ranges up.  If they'd been incompatible with ours then we wouldn't have bothered.

I don't think TB are necessarily 12mm, they are a bit bigger and chunkier than the standard ranges in some of their proportions, but it's only really noticible with the cavalry. With the infantry it's pretty minimal and I've happily mixed TB infantry with Pendraken and other manufacturers on the same base without issue:

e.g.

As mentioned before, some things are a bit chunkier with TB, especially the spear shafts.

I don't mix the TB and Pendraken cavalry as the size difference of the horses is just a bit too much, unless you were mixing say a heavy knight on a large charger on a base with retainers or light troops riding smaller horses. Though actually most of my medieval cavalry is from MM, which sits somewhere between the two in size and chunkiness. Looks really well on separate bases though and not so far off in size that it looks wrong on the table the way full 12mm would.

Some cavalry pics I took for Paul when he was planning his 100YW project:

If I hadn't it all packed away I'd compare TB against the fantasy range, which is 12mm I believe?

fred.

I've got loads of the TB Islamics, and a few of the Teutonic medievals. I also have loads of Pendraken, plenty of Magister Militum, loads of GW Warmaster, and plenty of other 10mm figures, from all sorts of eras and ranges. One of the key things I have found is few manufacturers are fully in scale / size across all of their ranges. This isn't too surprising with the breadth of ranges and the age of ranges, and different sculptors. With 10mm a mm here or there is quite obvious - but then in 28mm this happens even more.

I found most of the infantry is pretty compatible between different 10mm ranges. The key standouts our Pendraken Fantasy and all Kallistra, which are 12mm. But there are differences in bulk - MM tend to be more bulky.

But on cavalry there are much bigger differences TB Line are big, some GW are big (eg Empire). MM tend to be small, but there are quite a bit of variance within ranges for all manufacturers on horse size. Some of the PD Elizabethan horses are small.

Ultimately when on the table these differences tend not to be noticeable.

Regarding TB line, they are very detailed very finely sculpted figures, but they are really hard work to paint, because of this. I've painted quite a lot of the ones I have, but far from all, and that is over many years.

Some of the new manufacturers are producing some very detailed 10mm fantasy figures now, but often they are big, because they are fantasy and are creatures they can be big, so there is more space for details.

I've recently bought lots of PD Sengoku Japanese, and these are great figures, they look good as individual figures, have a nice amount of detail, but still paint up quickly to give units.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gwydion

Quote from: Sunray on 21 September 2020, 10:56:04 PM
+1 to Gwydion (and welcome to the Forum- I like your sense of humour).  ;D For Forum newbys +1 is our equivalent of  social media "like".
Thanks Sunray.
I'm masquerading as a newby - joined 2013, I'm just a very slow poster - 1 a year currently. Two in quick succession means I should be back c2022 all being well.

'Social media?' Is that like a fax?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: Gwydion on 24 September 2020, 03:06:43 PM
Thanks Sunray.
I'm masquerading as a newby - joined 2013, I'm just a very slow poster - 1 a year currently. Two in quick succession means I should be back c2022 all being well.

;D  +1

DaveH

Quote from: Gwydion on 24 September 2020, 03:06:43 PM
Thanks Sunray.

I thought I was fairly infrequent, but that is very slow.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

I would have thought the TB Line figures would have made a good basis for conversion to the Fantasy lines since they are closer in size to the larger Fantasy figures?

Just a thought

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Orcs

From speaking to Techno (peace be upon him), using actual figures as a basis for conversion can be problematic.  The mold making process  compresses the figure slightly making the production figure fractionally smaller. This is not a problem as the sculpters allow for this.

It does mean that if you use that figure to convert it will be compressed again, making it again a fraction smaller. This can result in fragile points on the model - ie ankles wrists etc.

When Techno converted a few of the Fallshirmjager for me he had to thicken the ankles on some to get around this.  Thus adding to the time and expense of making the master.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Interesting, there is an awful lot that goes into sculpting the figures
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!