What Have I DONE ...question mark

Started by Heedless Horseman, 20 September 2020, 05:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Had 'an old guy' at door on Friday..."Any jobs you want doing? Trees, Fences, Lights...etc, etc." Being hardly awake, we arranged for him to call back, Monday.

SATURDAY am, he's back..."So what trees do you want doing? And what about this fence?"
"Oh God!" Changed out of my PJ pants into some scruffy trousers, thinking tat as a 'one man band' he would think "Hmmm..." and disappear.

Nope: "I'l get my chainsaw and clippers! and we'll get the old fence down...then see about that tree branch!"

I should comment that I had a pretty empty big skip outside, following builders repairing rotten kitchen floor...which DID need filling! lol.

I mentioned that I needed to clear some of the junk from the back of the garage...to get access to the back door and toilet...with a view to possible replacement of door and window.
"Right, lets clear that out, then!"...so out goes the old kitchen press, ("Na, too far gone for the shed!"), the rat chewed boxes of newspaper, boxes of old plastic 'plant stuff', old (poor!),  fence posts, dried up paint tins, (I said he could have the 25yr old shed felt..."Ta!")... etc...
In the meantime, he had a look at the non-functional rear light...Hm...no...needs a new unit and switch! " ( ...agreed!).

So, with trepidation I entered the back garage toilet for the 1st time in 25 yrs! Strangely, it was not spider cobweb covered...maybe the rats ate the spiders? And the toilet works!  :)

"Let's get this fence down, then!"
So away goes the post and tatty wire back fence into 'The Skip'. He didn't need the chainsaw for the posts...just kicked down...but he has a good hack at the awkward Holly, etc. Me, just carrying...still, rather in shock...still trying to get head round to  have 'got up'!

We sort of worked out what I wanted for new posts, concrete and chain-link wire..."Right, We'll do that on..." ...yeah, ok...

The Skip now half full.

"This tree branch..." (It rattles...(rattled!)... on the flat roof over my room)...
Me..." Its a bit high up for a ladder..." "Nah, I do this all the time!"
So...he starts 'beetling' up and down ladders...with , (pernicketty!), chainsaw... and with me 'bricking' myself because I can see that  HIS version of 'secure' and 'safety'' and mine are VERY different!)... Down comes the branch!  :)

Trimmed back the Camelia's and Laurel, impinging on the roof...(Me thinking...He's a bit 'Chainsaw-happy'...IT DOES HAPPEN! Lol! But, bemusedly ...carrying to The Skip...commenting, ("It's getting a bit FULL, now...it's really getting FULL, now...!").  :o  EVENTUALLY,..."Right, I can get the rest in the (estate!), car, next time, no bother!"
I manged to jump up and down on The Skip...so, not TOO bad...have seen worse!.  ;D

'Bll**dy H*ll  :) his bloke is older and smaller than me...and had his own problems...as various conversation interludes maintained...but 'drive'!  :o

Back to the original intention of this post!
When clearing the garage, conversation about 'old toys' occurred...and grand kids fighting over 'Thunderbirds', 'Lady Penelope' car... "Yes, I have a couple of boxes of old stuff!)...

So. Now, My old Dinky, Corgi, Matchbox, metal cars/tanks/vehicles, etc, ..and Timpo cowboys, etc, have finally gone...as part payment! Plus an old Keilcrafr control-line Hurricane and an 1/24 Airfix Mustang (Box disintegrated") !  Grandkids or ebay... Don't care really...got some GOOD jobs done!  :)  (Do hope he washes the stuff, though!)  :o ;)

And he will be BACK!
He can do lights, roof moss, gutters...and 'knows a bloke' who does roofing, UPVC fascias...

Bl**dy Good worker...but 'Godsend' or 'Imp of Satan.'.  ;D

And I DON'T even remember his  NAME!  :(    :o     ;D

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I've got one of those coming round at 8.
Thats why we've replaced the house and rebuilt the kitchen. Mine doesn't want payment, but will accept me painting armies.
I'm going to be busy for an awfully long time!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Will - in the absence of someone else - WORK FASTER  ;D ;D ;D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Heedless Horseman

20 October 2020, 06:10:06 AM #5 Last Edit: 20 October 2020, 06:24:44 AM by Heedless Horseman
Well, HE's STILL turning up! No, painting figs does not seem an option but he's managed to bag most of my old Dnky/Corgi/Matchbox/ Timpo/Britains plastic stuff...for the grandkids! lol.  ;)
Lots of stuff done...that I just did not have the drive or knack to do.  :o  3 external, 3 indoor light working again, (though an electrician will have a fit!!). Shower heater...(repainting the wall will have to wait), garage crap well fettled so I can now get a firm in to fit new door, etc. Kitchen floor partially lino tiled so, after some grouting, I can EVENTUALLY have a working washer/dryer...which he will plumb in...  :) :) :)
Annoying tree branch cut down plus some other garden clearance...when He gets his Van, (which I've pretty much paid for!), he'll drop at least 3 trees..I do not want to watch, but suppose I will have to help clear debris/severed limbs, etc!  ;D  God D***ed curtain rail fixed up...though wrong way, LOL! (I HATE those things!).  ;D
The main job also done. Back fence replaced with 6' chain link. Digging the post-holes will have been a real s*d with the tree roots...but let him get on with it in his time. He got it done...and we got the fence up! Well pleased!  :)

(If anyone in Newcastle area, (collect only!), is looking for about 20m+  Green plastic coated garden 6' Chain-link fence wire + bracer wire reel...collect only, just ask, £50, but offers may be accepted.) I over ordered and only needed a bit of the second 25m roll!, lol.)  :o

Rather dread the Gremlin turning up, (He wears me out!) ...but so much stuff done that needed doing...now done!  :)
Or... once he's done rhe garden clear up/tree lopping...there may be a 'little old bloke/gremlin' up for grabs!!! Please ! ? LOL!   ;)

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)